Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sword blade started/FINISHED
Doc. says middle and, ring fingers good to go. Thumb will heal stiff, numb and ugly but, it will still work and, that is all that matters to me Big Grin .
He also gave me a nifty metal splint so, I can use the hand for things like turning pages in books etc. . When asked if I could use it to hold a grinder he threatened to break the other one :twisted: .

I don't know much about Japaese swords so, if I come across as ignorant it's only because... I am (and full of rx. opiates).
The question would come down I think to the amount of time that could be devoted to maintaining the finish. For a Sammuri or, Medeval Knight there was more time(and, servants) for this.
The sword was also the very symbol of there position in socitey and, even given religous status.

Our legionare on the other hand, had forts, roads, bridges...etc. to build and, his sword was another tool of his trade (and, he probably was playing mummbly peg with it).
I agree that the higher polish would provide somewhat more protection but, it would have to be maintained on a constant basis.
Quite impractical in my opinion for a soldier who had so many other duties when, regular cleaning and oil would do the same thing.

High praise of your work I would call it.
We could test it by providing your butcher with a sword and, see over time what works best for him Big Grin . High praise of your work I would call it.

A Hispanensis would be cool !

Sleep well, Dave.
Dave Akers.
Svlla first of all great question. I have pondered this thought for many a year :? ?: and I could be wrong. I must admit that is is the only sword I have polshed to that degree and it was a gift. Confusedhock:
Vortigern is right it is the Bently Grange helmet they is also a helmet made of boars tusks,I will also post a picture of my Scale Lorica and it is a very tough material
Regards to you all Brennivs Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I would say due to their untimely technology, for that particulary point in history, The Romans would have been very capable of producing as high a polish as they wished. They made mirriors from steel sheets etc. Probably though with swords it wasn't a biggy to them. Just a shot in the dark.
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Ive started the first stage of polishing on the bottom blade it will still need a few more hours before finishing.I have used from 80 -800 grit as well as a medium fine stone.
The top one will take a bit more work as it needs its facets put on the blade they need a bit more work with a stone and plenty water,Iam going to use a length of hard timber as a guide along the centre apex to stop the stone wandering
The ring pommel I have chosen to do is on the top of the picture the heart shaped one very unusual thanks to info from RAT members.
The other one I will copy one of the unusual ones from Vimose maybe the studed type :? D D lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
[Image: medical014.jpg]
[Image: ringpommel.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Back in the Fabrica tomorrow .However I just would like to show you what I grind and polish on .It is a piece of oak 3"deep by 1"wide by the length of the swords you wish to work on.I use clamps to hold the piece down,the height of the vice Is set so to reduce back ache :wink: I will start the pommel as well as continue the blade so hopefully it will be looking a bit more like a sword.So I may have more photos on the way Big Grin
[Image: swords001.jpg]
[Image: swords002.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:Svlla first of all great question. I have pondered this thought for many a year you are quiet right it is imposible to determine the finish on swords of Antiquity .However I looked at swords from late Viking up to 17 centuryAD as well as swords in the museums collection I work for ,of all things one sword stood out a 13 century AD sword from Toledo of King Sancho IV which shows a incredible polish of silver apperence.Since this is a Medieval sword and a rich mans sword if they had the technology I would say the mass production of the Roman Fabrica could do for a price.To go back to Roman times I think the vast majority of swords had a satin grey to light mirror finish, this on top of oil black as well as blueing blades. I believe the technology was avalible since they could polish gem stones which on the scale of hardness the, compounds could be used on iron.As with all things we will never know for sure and I could be wrong. I must admit that is is the only sword I have polshed to that degree and it was a gift.

Thanks for the response Brennivs. That is pretty much what I had thought would be more likely- a more satin/dull finish on your everyday sword. But it looks like we will never know for sure. I am sure that special swords (gifts, symbols off office maybe) could well have been very highly polished/finished.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
That is one heavy duty looking vice in your Fabrica Brennivs - cannot wait to see more progress on the swords. Fascinating stuff and thanks for sharing it with us.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Ive made a good start on the pommel .I started at 9.30 this morning and finished at 3.00 with only one cup of tea to keep me going :lol: .I first made a templet ,measured it with string and cut iron.I marked out a rough shape and ground down.I placed 2 metal bars in the vice so I could bend the pommel round and heated the iron and bent round .This gave a rough shape,I then welded on the tang and stated the long process of filling and polishing Big Grin I hope these photos help.
[Image: ringpommel002.jpg]
[Image: ringpommel004.jpg]
[Image: ringpommel005.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The other photos Big Grin
[Image: ringpommel006.jpg]
[Image: ringpommel007.jpg]
[Image: ringpommel010.jpg]
Regards Brennivs Big Grin D roll:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I have the pommel to a stage were I can continue the blade Big Grin ?: I think I may blue the iron pommel and hilt :? hmm I will see.
[Image: ringpommel012.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Beautiful work Tony! Big Grin

That must have taken SOME filing!
Thanks Peroni yes it was a bit of a job.It took a few weeks thought on the matter as to how to make it Idea I surprised myself I had no real problems Big Grin Ive also did a bit work on the blade as well, so it coming along.
[Image: ringpommel014.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Great work! I've send you a PM, Tony.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Before I can attach the pommel I need to make the hilt,since the pommel has no decoration I have chosen one with a small amount of incised lines as pic shows.I will show the construction as I did on the pommel,but with going away this weekend it will be next week before starting Sad lol: :lol:
[Image: n3.jpg]
PS also note the heavy barbed javilin head similiar to the one I made Big Grin
[Image: javilin002.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Back in the Fabrica today, will post photos as I progress Big Grin lol: :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grinding a Sword Blade How To? brennivs - tony drake 74 27,666 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 57 14,076 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake