Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sword blade started/FINISHED
Great work you're doing with your swords. Thanks for filling us in on the process.

Also, appreciate your honesty about the cause of the injury. One must remain cautious around such equipment, no matter how experienced we are. A good reminder.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Also, appreciate your honesty about the cause of the injury. One must remain cautious around such equipment, no matter how experienced we are. A good reminder.

Thank you, yes indeed, a hard way to learn a leason and, not one I will forget.
I'm just blessed that the doctor had the skill to save it, It could have been lost forever. That would have brought alot of projects to a halt on a permanent basis.

Back to swords, I just can't say it enough how impressed I am. Both with the swords Brennivus has posted and, with Ricks Mainz blade.

I's great to see some later Roman swords other than the Deepeeka models. While I'm healing I'm going to continue my quest to find more examples of swords from the fifth century for later projects.
Dave Akers.
Firmvs first of all great sword Big Grin cry: .I have made in excess of 70 odd swords/scabbards/hilts ect from the 3rd century BC to the 9th century AD without all the other kit I have made.I have made a few late swords and I will search my old fashioned photocopys/books for any 5th AD hilts ect and post them on to you Big Grin !:
Titvs I used 4 cutting discs/3 grinding discs/3 sanding belts on the to sword blade in the photos. I will be starting work on the blades on tuesday again at least the bulk work is done ,now many hours ahead of finishing and polishing.I hope this posting inspires others to have a go at making a sword and the joy of saying I made it

The photos show one of my late swords plus a of topic Viking blade to show the fuller and hilt Regards Brennivs Big Grin D
[Image: Picture080.jpg]
[Image: Picture083.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Aaaah very nice Big Grin . I've used the method you described to cut a couple fullers. The only advantage I've found in using the cove cutting method is speed.

Yes please, if you should find information on 5th century swords esp. hilts and, what type of hilts are found with what type of blades it would be most welcome.
The profile of the Krefeld sword blade is cut already. After the hand heals I'll start grinding. Here is a drawing I did of what I think the original probably looked like. The only part that has me puzzled is if it had a pommel cap riveted on.
The gentleman who has provided the info and, pictures of it is sure that it did. I however, am not so sure so, I'll leave it off for now as it would be easy to add later.
Dave Akers.
Brennivs
Pics are VERY dark but looks like hand made mega gems for the little I can make out.

Pretty boss swords you make there son!

Best ALways,

Rick

aka Vncle Titvs
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
so in otherwords the fullering is executed with use of something like a plunge cut? I know whatcha mean though. Was going to actually try it with a small wop (Gamma) router I have ya know just build a jig etc. Idea

Thanks

Titvs Big Grin
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Quote:so in otherwords the fullering is executed with use of something like a plunge cut? I know whatcha mean though. Was going to actually try it with a small wop (Gamma) router I have ya know just build a jig etc. Idea

Thanks

Titvs Big Grin

You've got it Rick. I've been wondering when fullers became common. Most swords by the 6th century seem to have them and, several from the 4th had multiple fullers. Don't know about the 5th. Maybe Brennivs will be able to find some information.

After the Krefeld sword I think I may try a 4th century type with multiple fullers and, metal covered hilt.
Dave Akers.
Quote:so in otherwords the fullering is executed with use of something like a plunge cut? I know whatcha mean though. Was going to actually try it with a small wop (Gamma) router I have ya know just build a jig etc. Idea

Thanks

Titvs Big Grin
Good thing this board doesn't have a filter for racial epithets. You just used two of them
Pecunia non olet
Titvs I hope these photos are better Big Grin can you show us the jig I must admit I have thought of jigs myself but have continued to do it by hand
Firmvs mutiple fullers came prominent during the 3rd AD as the infantry sword became longer as the finds from Augst ,Vimose, but they are some from the Antonine period I can post to you as soon as I can ,they are mounting up .The 5thAD some swords dont have them while the others have a single fuller again I am still looking to confirm Big Grin D D
[Image: Picture087.jpg]
[Image: Picture088.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I made a jig for fullers based around a 4 1/2 in. angle grinder but, my design turned out to work better on paper than steel :lol: .
However, if anyone would like to use my design and try to make it work I'll post my drawings and, maybe they'll have better luck.

Thank you for the information Brennivs, I welcome any you can find.
By the way, what is the hilt of the last sword you posted made from, horn?
I like the look of it, I've never used horn but, if this is the result I may try.
Dave Akers.
Dave and Tony,

Your swords, and that pariticular sword profile, are beginning to lure me away from the main stay item ie; Mainz etc. They are just so amazing cannot give them enough complement. What really gets a grip on me is your work very much reflects the boni fide item they already look like museum quality work and not mere repros.

To be honest I as of yet do not have a jig built for the router but it's up their swimming around amongst the flabby grey matter. Don't really think a jig should have to be very complex just something that would carry intended purpose through.

I was thinking along the lines of employing something like the bed of a wood working lathe(angle iron is same thing) coupled with mitre attachments for the angle cuts. Adjustable height as well as width provided via left right sliding/locking track/rails for the bed. It would'nt be too big of a deal to make at the end of the day. Going to draw the idea up tonight and hopefully all those evil little genies will vacate my scanner just long enough so I can get it posted here.

Dave I agree yes and I too am very much attracted to the horn idea I used to work with quite a bit of black buffalo horn it's lovely and a half when polished as long as one can cut the horrific odor while in the works. Unfortunately we do not have the stuff down here and must use alternative.

I wish to thank you both so much for displaying your master hands here within this thread. Just GORGEOUS stuff gents!!

Best Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Sounds like you and, I came up with the same basic idea for a jig just for different tools Big Grin .
I think the mistake on mine is I didn't have my measurments exact enough and, that allowed to much play on the grinder.

Don't stray to far from that Mainz, it's a first class job! The shape is dead on. I look forward to seeing it when it is finnished. Then do a 5th century spatha with the info Tony is finding for us :wink: .

There is a lot of horn on ebay, both cow and, buffalo the smell factor is worth the end result for me.
The grip on the Krefeld Spatha is ivory, I may use bone but, if I think the blade turns out well enough I may splurge and, use Hippo Ivory.
The Feltwell sword had a grip of antler and, that's what I used on the one I made. No matter what I did I couldn't get the curve out and, that's my only real dissappointment with it.

Another idea I've kicked around but, don't know enough about to try yet is to use gold leaf to simulate one of those fancy gold hilted 5 th. century jobs. I'm afraid the gold leaf might be to delicate for a sword grip though.
Dave Akers.
SALVE! Dave thanks for the post.

Actually as I approach the final shape stage of the mainz it's looking pretty decent now. Nice crisp geometry coming out of the hulk. I think of all the qualities a blade has if it has a crapola shape it's got pretty much of nothing going for it no matter how excellent the steel. I have already tested the edge to the nines on just about everything hard and amazing not one nick in the edge. I sorta walk around swinging it gently with wrist movement and when It no longer fatiques the arm in the least I'll know it's ready for next stage.

We have a fellow forum member here who has been searching for a spatha but will have to go search for his name again and if ok may I refer you to him? Not sure if he has been following this thread or not. I would say OHHh yeah for sure you are the man to see about one of those.

Actually I find a great deal of peace and relaxation in making a sword just another way to flush the mind of junk and superfluity.

As to the black horn I would take it down to about 800 grit wet and dry then use rottenstone for the polish. AHHhhh rotten rotten rottenstone just another thing they don't have in NZ yes there is pumace but I find it a little too abrasive and it leaves marks etc.

Still have no way to harden or temper but may try the bit with 3 or 4 fire bricks then clay application then hit it with mapp gas. May not be quite enough steady heat for the longer lengths and surface area of even a short sword like a mainz. Just cannot buy stuff right now so very limited. Having my angle grinder ignite yesterday was no help.

Once in awhile I modify sewing machine clamps to hold work as they make a nice positive grip but don't have awkward handles/grips that can get in the way of one working.

Anyhow perhaps between us all we can come up with a truely cool multipurpose jig and go see Donald Trump to back us. :wink:

Thanks again Mate. You have a lovely day then there sir.

Best of Big Grin Cheers

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Dave have you ever tried the powdered brass and lacquer bit?

If you don't have brass waste to make the powder with your sander or grinder you can call up a Locksmith to see if he has it. Usually they just sweep it all up the day's key cutting end and biff it.

You can experiement in small test patches first. The powdered brass and lacquer makes a beautiful deep old looking gold leaf effect and you can vary it anyway you like.

PAX ET BONUM! Smile
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Look at this thing Rick, http://www.templ.net/pics-making/blades ... ded07v.jpg It cuts fullers but, I have no idea how :lol: . No doubt I could find a way to take my thumb off with it.

The lines of your Mainz are very crisp and, clean. In my opinion the shape is more attractive than many of the more expensive production swords I've seen and, it leaves the cheap ones in the dust.

Here in my neck of the woods I can buy natural lump charcoal at the grochery store. Making a forge large enough to fit most blades using charcoal for fuel is fairly simple and, mine was built from material I salvaged total cost $0 Big Grin . If one will work for you I'd be happy to send you the plans.

Sewing machine clamps, why didn't I think of that.

I'd never heard of mixing brass powder and lacquer. Sounds like it may be just the thing and, powdered brass I have buckets of.

By all means, if you find the gentleman looking for the spatha send him round. If I can't make one for him than perhaps, we can all help him make one for himself.
Dave Akers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grinding a Sword Blade How To? brennivs - tony drake 74 27,495 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 57 14,018 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake