Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Helmets From Scratch>paint removal etc
Hi Jim thanks for that. Are you familiar with this particular tinning process as I am not. What special materials are needed etc??

Thank again!

Richard
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Actually Richard, I'm not too sure how to get around this. But I'm pretty sure (although it may be contended) that at one point there were iron Montefortinos, and then they reverted back to cupric alloy. It may have been Caesarian when the iron helms came in, but it's worth digging around.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jim actually the pics I have sent here are very deceiving as the bowl is not as steep or deep as it would appear. Falls very short of being the tallish almost horse rider bowl of the Montefortino. The closest it seems to fit in would be coolus due to it's shape but as I take it there were NO iron coolus just brass or the like??

Thanks mate

RT
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Titus,

Robinsons book shows a iron lump that he called a Coolus. I have made a hypothetical reconstruction from a WW2 US Civil Defense helmet. These are readily availble here, and at a low cost. Unless you can weld its going to be hard to convert what you have into a Coolus. I am sending you a PM about these conversions.

Paul
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
The shape looks too American to be coincidental but the odd holes are strange. In the 40s and 50s the US Army conducted war games with Red Army/Blue Army themes, and sometimes one army would be distinguished from the other by helmets with little crests or other adornments. I saw a few of these moldering away in storerooms when I was in the Army in the 60s. What you have may be a war games helmet. The old "steel pot" used from WWII to the 80s was really made of an alloy that had very little ferric content and a magnet would not stick to it. Have you tested yours with a magnet?
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint \"Sealant\" for Roman Scutum Antoninus05 6 2,311 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Blue paint in roman times? Folkert van Wijk 17 4,523 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk