Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Helmets From Scratch>paint removal etc
I have been seeing a few cases where reinactors on a budget have been trying to make their own helmets by way of converting old WW2 and other exisiting wartime head gear. Seems that one of their greatest (time consuming) problems has been removal of the old paint. It is often quite in there deep and thickly coated. I have used the following procedure for many years as a basic low cost, but very effective paint stripper.

You need:

A large boiling vessel such as stockpot or any thing that will be large enough to place the helmet in so water will cover it. Go to your laundry room and get about 1-2 cups of ordinary laundry detergent. Any kind is fine be it powder or liquid but I usually use the powder.

Put the detergent in the bottom of the pot and the metal object with paint to be removed in as well. Fill till the object is just covered by the water and place on high on your stove. Allow it to boil anywhere from 1/2 to one hour. Pull the hot helmet out with something safe such as large tongs etc. Place on a protected surface and use either a bronze or other type brush, course steel wool or course scotch brite pad. The old paint comes off with ease. Can be finished up with a wire wheel or hand polish.

Cheers!

Richard
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Salve,

Actually that sounds like a good tip…. Thanks!

Personally, to save money, I picked up an 18 gauge steel Corinthian helmet for $37.00 and I’ve started cutting it up into a Roman Officer’s attic helmet.

Thanks again!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
is there anything in the fumes that one would need to be worried about?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
AVE! Vale

WOW very good price on that Corinthian helmet. Can you usually get them that cheap? If you can I would say GO for it! and bugger the budget thing. Way to go Vale!

Thanks for your message mate!

AVE! Chuck

There is nothing at all caustic or concerning with this technique the ONLY agent other than good ole H2O is common everyday washing powder same thing you wash your cloths with so there are no fumes at all. If anything just that nice fresh laundry fragrance.

I stripped a WW2 shell last night it took 20 mins on the boil and the paint literally slid off the shell.

Thanks heaps for your response gents n' bros n' sons n' such!

Richard

Cheers,

Rick
Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Hi here are a few pics of the helm I stripped last night. This is about how even the toughest of paint looks upon removing from the boiling water. As you can see there are still little speckles here and there but they come of easily with just a wipe.

Also another question here and would really appreciate a little help. Might I ask which helmet type do you believe would best suit this helm shell taking it's present shape etc into consideration? Perhaps a Coolus or??

Many thanks for all.

Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Ok This will be the last for my dumb stuff. Here is the helm now completed it just took about two minutes total to clean off the rest of the paint residue with a dish cloth and some more powdered detergent to act as paste polish. What's nice about this is it will leave the original steel patina in tact if you like that dark aged iron look.

Again I thank you all.

Cheers!

Richard
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Hmmmmmmm already looks like a Montefortino from some angles..... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That looks like a US M1 shell, but has a rolled rim. What is it?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Paul it's anybody's guess but believe you are correct it is a US helm. I was just trying to get a little feedback as to what the best Roman helmet profile would suit this shell. In otherwords it's about to become a shadow of it's former self. Just shell no liner. Thanks heaps for your input.

Regards,

Richard
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Richard I am almost 100% positive that it is not a WW2 US helmet, or even post-WW2.

I would ponder a guess that it is a copy of the US style.

Just a bit of caution here. Please find out exactly what your converting before you do. Some WW2 helmets can be worth way more than any custom reproduction of Roman helmets. Original WW2 German paratrooper helmets for example can bring several thousand USD.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thanks Paul,
Yes sir I am well aware of that. I used to buy and sell militaria years ago and had a mail order biz based on it. I would certainly not trash a lovely specimen of the Africa Corps with 100% apple green finish. Or a for real SS helm in very minty cond original liner. There are also maaany faux items out there and one must know the ropes. medals and awards being the most debacled group of them all.

I don't believe this particular helmet is anything special other than somewhere some brave gent may have fought or died wearing it which of course ALWAYS makes all of them special and worthy of preservation. I personally however cannot afford a repro helmet that Deepeeka or anyone else wants $300- USD for or moreso a Lorica priced at $600- USD which is more like $1100- NZD. THAT is basically why I feel compleled to make my own gear. I was able to pull a few trades in order to obtain my Hebron Italic G at discount group price but so far it's all I have. Then only to learn that the helmet I have has been defunked as incorrect so now they have a new N model to replace it. Something like Microsoft Windows it seems. Upgrade upgrade=cost +cost.

I very much appreciate your comments sir and thank you much.

Best Always,

Richard
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Well I would say a montefortino myself, of course that would be reversed.
depends how well it trims down though.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
One problem it's made in iron. Coolus often was made in copper alloy. By the way, the shape is identical as a lot of the coolus manheim type.

[Image: coolus-mannheim.JPG]
http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... elmet.html
Great job on the paint removal ! The shape also has the look of a Monte or coolus to me. I wonder, though, what's that hole in the top used for ?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:One problem it's made in iron. Coolus often was made in copper alloy.
Tin it :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint \"Sealant\" for Roman Scutum Antoninus05 6 2,311 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Blue paint in roman times? Folkert van Wijk 17 4,523 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk