Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Phalanx Illustration
Quote:So you do support the idea that blue represents iron in these paintings?
I'm coming to that opinion, I must admit, and maybe I was too definite in that last post. But I can see the case for both painted and reflection. Why would a bucket be painted blue in real life? Maybe to protect it from rust, and there was a very cheap blue paint?

What concerns me is whether the artists would be conscious of the blue reflection given to iron when painting a depiction. Why not just grey which we see even today so many times when armour is illustrated? They had the black and the white pigments to mix. I don't know enough about ancient Greek practices in art to say yes or no, to be honest.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
MeinPanzer:23c68wki Wrote:So you do support the idea that blue represents iron in these paintings?
I'm coming to that opinion, I must admit, and maybe I was too definite in that last post. But I can see the case for both painted and reflection. Why would a bucket be painted blue in real life? Maybe to protect it from rust, and there was a very cheap blue paint?

What concerns me is whether the artists would be conscious of the blue reflection given to iron when painting a depiction. Why not just grey which we see even today so many times when armour is illustrated? They had the black and the white pigments to mix. I don't know enough about ancient Greek practices in art to say yes or no, to be honest.

There are also a few problems with it being reflections. First of all, at this point it doesn't appear that artists endeavoured to produce any fancier lighting effects than basic shading. They also certainly didn't make an effort to give the impression of reflection on other shiny white or grey objects.

Also, the scene in which the man carries a blue pale is set at night - all the men carry torches with them on their way to a symposion (which is the next scene).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Another of Johnny's fearsome phalangites can be found enhancing the plates section of my 'For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare'.

I was struggling to find a suitable phalanx/phalangite illustration to complement the chapter about the Pyrrhic War, but I saw some of Johnny's other work here on RAT and contacted him about the possibility of working on an illustration for the book. No sooner had I asked, and it was done! Now 'Glory' features a splendid reconstruction of a sarissa-wielding phalangite, illustrating perfectly why the legionaries sustained such a mauling at the battles of Heraclea and Ausculum.

(This is veering off-topic, but special thanks also Graham Sumner and Jim 'Tarbicus' Bowers for their excellent illustrations Big Grin .)

Cheers,

R!
Ruben I found the article in the old magazine.
They quote Appian and Polybios about the Bythinians in Nicoplolis (47 BC) but they are not specific.
Kind regards
Quote:Ruben I found the article in the old magazine.
They quote Appian and Polybios about the Bythinians in Nicoplolis (47 BC) but they are not specific.
Kind regards

Thanks Stefanos, I'll make sure to check it out.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:They quote Appian and Polybios about the Bythinians in Nicoplolis (47 BC) but they are not specific.
For the battle of Nicopolis (47 BC), see [Caes.], BAlex. 36-41 (no mention of phalanx or pikes, as far as I can see).

(I don't think Appian records the battle of Nicopolis, does he? And Polybius, of course, was long dead by 47 BC.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
hoplite14gr:1f6ymwfe Wrote:They quote Appian and Polybios about the Bythinians in Nicoplolis (47 BC) but they are not specific.
For the battle of Nicopolis (47 BC), see [Caes.], BAlex. 36-41 (no mention of phalanx or pikes, as far as I can see).

(I don't think Appian records the battle of Nicopolis, does he? And Polybius, of course, was long dead by 47 BC.)

Yep, I checked them out yesterday. Appian doesn't even mention the battle, but only briefly talks about Mithridates' final battle in a roundabout way, while Polybius cuts off his coverage at 146 BC (as you say, he obviously couldn't be writing in the first century BC...). Plutarch mentions it, but in his coverage no Bithynians and no phalanxes are mentioned.
Ruben

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx Sean Manning 6 55,362 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Macedonian phalanx: overarm or underarm? Justin Swanton 3 3,422 03-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  The Nature of Command in the Macedonian Sarissa Phalanx Steven James 0 2,396 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Steven James