Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHITE OR COLORED?
BTW, here is the Herculaneum Amazon head Narukami mentioned:

[Image: romanstatue2_zoom.jpg]

[Image: 96825572981.jpg]

And this is a Venus with a fantastically "contemporary" bikini, not like those "granny" ones of Piazza Armerina :wink:

[Image: Venus-bikini.jpg]

Quote:Romans "aliens"

Incidentally: sure, we cannot completely understand them, anyway since we do all our efforts to understand a people like the Romans and their culture just by scientific research and archeological evidences we'll be like "handicapped" in finding the 360° truth. Don't misunderstand me, I give an enormous importance to the Science side of research, anyway the Romans (and all the pre-christian classical World), you like or not, were metaphysical and magical in being. Any aspect of their life was deeper than we can see from scientific research, but the most prefer to ignore it. And this is not a factoid.

If we don't convince ourselves that the roman typical and stringent rational way (that sometimes could look to us almost as "obtuse") was parallel to their Metaphysics, and that the two things are to be seen together, we will cannot understand more than one side of the Romans. And maybe not even that one.

To come back to the topic, and about the friends' previous posts, I agree about the colouring, but not for ANY statue at the same way:

a) the little statue of the Pompei fresco is not a high quality statue, but it looks like something of "family-home stuff"

b) some statues show just painted details, not the whole surface

c) Don't forget that we cannot be sure about the time when the statues were painted, maybe someone in the dark ages and with a ridiculing purpose, for example by the Christians towards the "pagan" Divii Imperatores like the Augustus of Prima Porta, that in the reconstructed colours looks like a joke.

d) colouring and shading could be obtained by fine glazing too, as any painter knows well. That is surely more appropriate and proportionate to the long time and work employed in the hard sculpting.

e) There is the problem of the lasting of such tempera colours on a polished marble surface: outdoor statues had to be very often re-painted and wax, oil or casein are not the final solution of the problem. Of course the Romans made such works of art for lasting centuries.

f) another problem is about the mixed marbles statues and busts: why using various kinds of (often rare and precious) marble if it is to be painted?

g) Flat/solid colouring looks more appropriate to stucco and terracotta statues and archaic styles marble statues, while glazing looks more appropriate to the glossy polished marble of more qualitatively important statues, where a well made glazing can show the quality of the fine work on the surface yet and also result more lasting outdoor.

So, I think we could consider both the possibilities: solid or glazed colours..., plus various and not painted marbles in the same statue, not painted porphry (hard to paint anyway), just in details painted polished marbles, solid/flat painted stone, gilded marble, bronze, wood and stucco and many others probably...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Titus,

Thanks for the photos of the head -- quite amazing.

Clearly this issue of painted / not painted / how / why is going to go on for some time (just like the great Army Tunic Color Debate).

Even so, it is fascinating to consider these possibilities. They are far beyond anything I studied in school, but then that is the case with most topics in Ancient Greece and Rome.

Great thread...

Thanks again for the photos.

Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:f) another problem is about the mixed marbles statues and busts: why using various kinds of (often rare and precious) marble if it is to be painted?
Porphyry has the same question.

Does it look as if the stone was left bare to represent skin? That seems to be a common occurrence from the small sample we have.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
All RAT members should perform a Haj/Pilgrimage there !!

Quite right Paullus!

Though I fear that I will never make it back to Europe, if I should these cities are a must see.

Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
All the above are valid points - over the length of the Republic/Empire, there were doubtless many styles of painting and even within one artistic epoch, perhaps as many styles as there were artists............ unpainted, part-painted, plain painted, and fully shaded/highlighted ( I am thinking of the 1st/2nd centuries A.D, when Roman Art was arguably at it's peak ( even by the time of Marcus Aurelius, artistic standards had declined - as a comparison between his column and the T.C demonstrates). Incidently, when the casts were made last century, before modern pollution 'got at' the T.C, traces of paint were visible, But I'll bet even if we knew the details it would not resolve 'The Great Tunic debate' !!! LOL!

As an aside on the difficulty of knowing these things, aircraft modellers constantly debate the colour schemes of WW2 aircraft, even well known aircraft of 'Aces' and are frequently unable to reach conclusions, despite the plentiful supply of photos ( including many in colour !! ),official documentary instructions,memoirs and unit histories, and even the memories of living veterans etc!! .....

.....Or consider the Napoleonic wars, the Peninsula war in particular when e.g a Rifle Brigade officer, whose"official" dark green uniform is well known, is recorded wearing a BROWN jacket, no sash, grey trousers (with the leg bottoms burnt off drying them ! ), a captured french knapsack, a captured french cloak....all heavily patched and describes green as the least common colour in the regiment !

What then might our Trajanic legionary look like after campaigning for a year in mountainous Dacia ??

In the light of that, what hope have we poor ancient-lovers got ?

Incidently, Seutonius records Augustus ( notoriously prone to illness ) wearing up to seven tunics at one time......for my own impression of a trajanic legionary ( a work in progress ), I wear a plain (unbleached/white) linen under-tunic, and a red woollen herring-bone weave tunic over it. In hot weather I strip down to the linen tunic, and in cold weather I add a second woollen tunic, so my appearance depends on the weather !!

regards, Paullus Scipio/Paul McDonnell-Staff
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
In earlier wall-paintings and vase-paintings, the custom was to depict men with reddish-brown skin and women with white skin. Wouldn't some sort of sunburned color have been more likely for statues of males? White might have struck Romans as effeminate.
Pecunia non olet
I made my own colour-reconstructions of ancient busts:
[url:tmqxpk4g]http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47/Fichtenbrenner/[/url]
--- Marcus F. ---
Going back to the tunic debate (which I guess I shouldn't) I think it seems rather ignorant to assume just red and white were the colours of the day so to speak. Am off now..... Confusedhock:
Ainsley
Wandering Soldier
Very nicely done. They look very natural, and could be good representations of the originals.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I made my own colour-reconstructions of ancient busts:
[url:1hxw45iq]http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47/Fichtenbrenner/[/url]
Very tasty. Nice work.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hmmmm, Commodus looks even more like a spoilt monster in coulour!!!
But then, being named after a latrine would not help! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Antoninus-Pius looks very realistic.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Getting back to the original question, I'd say it would depend on what or who the statue was of, and where it was placed. White marble has a regality to it, but everywhere, all the time? I know several artists, and I can't see them not wanting to use color where appropriate and tasteful. I imagine that classical artists were that different. Of course, not everyone's definition of taste is the same. Maybe they had their 'Velvet Elvis' pieces in front of the odd wine shop.....
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
I recall seeing a section of Trajan's Column, showing auxiliaries defending a fort, restored in colour, but now I can't find it (was it here or on a linked site?? )
Can anybody point me to it, please ??? :? ? (
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Maybe they had their 'Velvet Elvis' pieces in front of the odd wine shop.....
Wasn't pretty much every bit of Roman sculpture a 'Velvet Elvis', until the weather or the Victorians had a go?! :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!