Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHITE OR COLORED?
Mein Panzer, referring to the "Bunte Götter exhibition", asked in another topic, about the scientific methods to find the "real" colors of the ancient statues, friezes, etc.

Now I post a blog article (not mine) about that exhibition at the Vatican museums that also points on the difference between "our" tastes and ancient tastes for the appearance of the sculptures, that always fascinated me.

Do you prefere statues and friezes in WHITE marble or COLORED like the Ancients made them?

It could be strange for an Antiquity admirer like me, but I prefer them WHITE...

Firstly, the fine images of the "Bunte Götter exhibition" :

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... exhibition

then the article:

'I Colori del Bianco' [The Colors of White] at the Vatican museums
- Ancient sculpture as it was meant to be seen

Though in the late 1700s scholars were aware of the multicolored hues of Greek and Roman sculpture, color was considered a only a minor, insignificant aspect of these creations.

The 1980s saw the beginning of a revolution in the study of color in antiquities.

Vincenz Brinkmann of Germany's Munich Glyptotek led the way, with a series of groundbreaking examinations employing ultraviolet light, infrared spectroscopy, and polarizing and scanning electron microscopy.

He showed that the use of brilliant pigments to paint statues, walls and buildings was routine, though the results, when applied to works long since bleached white, were anything but.

Electric yellows, vibrant reds, bright greens and blues, these were the true colors of antiquity.

On display through January 31 of next year at the Vatican Museum is a show of 30 objects recreated and then painted to look as they did when they were originally made thousands of years ago.

The originals are placed, whenever possible, next to the colored recreations.

In other cases, photographs or copies of the original are shown.

Pictured at the top of this post is a statue of the goddess Athena from 500-490 B.C., partly colored based on an analysis of the original, standing nearby.

Below is a recreated sculpture of the Emperor Augustus, as it looked when it was made in 20 B.C.

These are among the objects in the Vatican show.

Here's Sarah Delaney's story from yesterday's Washington Post.

Ancient Sculpture, Seen Through a Prism
The Venus of Milo or the Dying Gaul may come to mind when we think about ancient sculpture.

Those famous pieces conform to the classical ideal of beauty, the ascendancy of form enhanced by the pure translucence of white marble.

An ascetic aesthetic, practiced by sober and tasteful Greek and Roman sculptors who flourished more than two millenniums ago.

Apparently, though, that's not exactly how it was.

According to the curators of an exhibit at the Vatican Museum, that idea of perfect austere beauty is ours, not that of the ancients, who evidently preferred a vivid palette of electric yellows and blues, vibrant reds and bright greens to decorate sculptures, tombs and even the walls of ordinary buildings in Athens and Rome.

Called "I Colori del Bianco" ("The Colors of White"), the exhibit demonstrates how art historians, archaeologists and scientists combined forces to re-create a hypothetical but highly probable color scheme of works from the archaic to early Byzantine periods.

It's a first attempt to restore to modern imagination the brilliance that faded away over the centuries.

Synthetic casts were made of several works and then painted according to careful analysis of the originals, contemporary texts and similar decorations preserved on ancient vases.

Where possible, they are displayed in shocking juxtaposition with the original; in other cases photographs or copies of the original are shown.

A sunshine-yellow reclining lion with a cobalt-blue mane and red whiskers guards the entrance to the show as a hint of what's to come.

The garish colors of the beast, the cheerful patterning of a Trojan warrior and the symbolic painted scenes on a giant Emperor Augustus are enough to jolt the sensibilities of anyone used to considering pure white the predominant hue of ancient times.

In reality, what may appear to be a micro-revolution in the way we look at art is nothing new for scholars.

They have been well aware since at least the late 1700s of the multicolored variety in antiquities.

Explanations accompanying the exhibits say the particular tastes of 18th-century German art historian Johann Joachim Winckelmann were in large part responsible for what became a collective idea of the masterpiece of the distant past.

"Color contributes to beauty, but it is not beauty," he is quoted as saying in 1764.

"Color should have a minor part in the consideration of beauty, because it is not [color] but the structure that constitutes its essence."

Even in the 1700s, there were examples of colored statues and artifacts, and Winckelmann knew them, says Paolo Liverani, head of the classical antiquities department at the Vatican Museums.

But because Winckelmann, considered to be the father of art history and archaeological study, was such an authoritative figure, his vision became the orthodox view and prevailed over the next two centuries.

In the late 1800s, a brief resurgence of interest in studying the use of color by the ancients subsided, and was labeled "deceitful amusement" by one historian cited by Liverani.

The ensuing oversimplification of Winckelmann's ideas, Liverani says, is evident in the gigantic, snow-white muscleman sculptures typical of the era of Italian dictator Benito Mussolini before World War II, and still visible today in some Rome streets and squares.

The show "gives an image that is radically different than what we're used to seeing," says Liverani, who helped curate it.

"But it's our idea of 'classic' that needs to be updated, not the Greeks and Romans who need to be corrected... White is modern."

Research on the colors of ancient statuary began in earnest in Germany in the 1980s, especially by Vincenz Brinkmann of the Munich Glyptotek, or ancient sculpture museum, who used new technology to analyze it in several different ways.

Ultraviolet rays revealed the faintest traces of color, while raking light, or very bright close light, detected the slightest relief that could come from an original sketch or be the result of the varied effects of weathering on the different pigments.

Other techniques such as scanning electron microscopy, infrared spectroscopic analysis and polarizing microscopy were used to determine the components of the pigments.

Most were mineral-based, Liverani says: malachite from Greece for green, bright blues from azurite from the Sinai and Italy, and most yellows and ochers from a poisonous arsenic-based mix.

Red was from cinnabar, a mercury sulfide, mined in Spain.

The only organic color came from the madder root, which provided a delicate, translucent red. Binders were egg- or milk-based.

"The colors served to emphasize the religious or political content of the message the work was to convey," says Liverani.

"Augustus of Prima Porta" shows a giant Emperor Augustus whose cuirass, or body armor, was painted with a white background to enhance red and blue scenes depicting an important diplomatic victory.

The unnatural colors suggest that the statue was a symbol to be revered, much the way Christians revere a cross, Liverani says.

Green snakes that form a fringe on the cape of the colored model of the goddess Athena were probably intended, in the original version, to provoke fear and awe, Liverani says.

This model was only partly colored because there weren't sufficient traces of color found on the rest to make a reasonable hypothesis.

Establishing the colorful pattern on an archer allowed researchers to identify him as a Trojan, probably Paris, son of King Priam.

This and other figures decorated the pediment of the Greek temple of Aphaia from the late 5th century B.C.

"We are only at the very beginning of the discoveries to be made with this sort of analysis," says Liverani, "and there is always more to discover."

The show, which contains more than 30 objects, was put together with the help of scholars and technicians from two antiquities museums: the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek of Copenhagen and the Munich Glyptotek, where the exhibit has already been shown.

Both museums contributed pieces, along with the Vatican Museum.

The show can be seen without entering the main Vatican Museum, and admission is free.

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:Do you prefere statues and friezes in WHITE marble or COLORED like the Ancients made them?

COLOURED! Wins by a streetlength. If add SO much more life and information!
[Image: 120px-NAMABG-Colored_Alexander_Sarcophagus_2.JPG]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Like living in a comic book.

Great article and amazing photos.

Thanks for the links Titus!

Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Coloured of course!
Salve,

Without question I prefer the ‘colored’ more life-like original look!

I recently was tossed this photo of a restored Augustus Prima statue… after seeing it I really had to re-think the color scheme on my roman recreation armor.

I see that the appliqués were painted, not just solid silver or gold as I always presumed.

The tassels or fringe is not gold, as often seen in recreation, but follows and alternating color pattern with the other Pteruges; in this example blue.

There is also a color trim around the armor; in this example red.

Lastly, the armor in this example was painted white, although I see other times it was bronze or brass in color.

[Image: Augustus_color_restored_499.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Coloured! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
That statue of Caligula (or Augustus ?) - YUCK !

Looks like he's painted like a circus clown :lol:

WHITE

BTW, I think buildings as well as statues were also colored.

Quote:If add SO much more life and information!

I'd quibble with the latter part. The paint may not necessarily reflect reality. For instance, why is the statue's hair brown when we know Augustus and Caligula were blond ?

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:The tassels or fringe is not gold, as often seen in recreation, but follows and alternating color pattern with the other Pteruges; in this example blue.

Yes, now I know where John M McDermott got his color schemefrom Smile

~Theo
Jaime
Much as I like garish display (and this kind of barbarian splendour feels a lot 'righter' for a culture like Rome than the clinical whiteness of Neoclassicism), I prefer my originals as close to 'as found' as is consistent with conservation. If we have an idea of the original colour scheme, by all means give me a restored and painted copy. If not, leave it white.

Did anyone have the good luck to see the Chartres portal when they 'beamed' a colour reconstruction onto the stone at night?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:I'd quibble with the latter part. The paint may not necessarily reflect reality. For instance, why is the statue's hair brown when we know Augustus and Caligula were blond ?

It looks pretty blond to me, at least as blond as other examples of Alexander the Great in ancient art. I highly doubt that any Italians had truly blond hair.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
That would make it the dirtiest blond I've ever seen Tongue
It might pass as chestnut I suppose....

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:That would make it the dirtiest blond I've ever seen Tongue

~Theo

When ancient authors refer to blond, they mean dirty blond- our concept of blond (that is, the Nordic sort of blond) was not found among the Mediterranean races.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
[size=200:iaifrm5w]C O L O U R E D ! ![/size]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
Theodosius the Great:155jlzlk Wrote:That would make it the dirtiest blond I've ever seen Tongue

~Theo

When ancient authors refer to blond, they mean dirty blond- our concept of blond (that is, the Nordic sort of blond) was not found among the Mediterranean races.

I suspect you're right, Ruben.

But that doesn't explain why his flesh isn't painted - I doubt his complexion was that pasty. It's too Nordic-looking :wink: :lol:

~Theo
Jaime
Coloured wins by a head...more lifelike...although some designs would impart a more restful feel if left white...or as a contrast..
A brown Pegasus would not be quite the same either....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-