Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segs on coins
The symbol of the legion was a centaur, so it makes complete sense. It's just not clear whether that's a proper coin/original imagery, or something made up for the conference.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:The symbol of the legion was a centaur, so it makes complete sense. It's just not clear whether that's a proper coin/original imagery, or something made up for the conference.

No doubt Jim, just being a sag, it is amusing to see! May be I should join that legion!!!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve Jim,
I think it is unlikely for it to be a real coin (though, I may be wrong, of course).
As far as I know, there are 2 types of coins issued about II Parthica portraying a centaur, but they are quite different images....

One, which is often mistakenly referred as issued by Septimius, was acutally issued by Gallienus, and you can see it here:

II Parthica coin of Gallienus

and here:

II Parthica coin of Gallienus

Another was issued by Carausius:

II Parthica coin of Carausius

Vale
Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero
a.k.a. Carlo Sansilvestri

CONTUBERNIUM
SISMA - Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Thanks Carlo. I could only find ordinary centaurs as well. Therefore, so far, it just seems to be a well done graphic for the conference. :wink:

Of course, if anyone stumbles across such a coin, feel free to post it!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I think you'll find the segmentata-wearing figures are standing behind the mounted figures and are not themselves mounted. Usual Roman problem with perspective, parallax, and fitting photorealistic images on coin dies ;-) )
I agree, I see only one mounted person on the coins, the rest seems to be standing.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I did a similar question about a coin with a (looking like) seg in this topic of 2004... But maybe it's caesarian... :roll:

link from old RAT

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]