Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The AD 43 Castrum in Arkansas, USA, March 2007
Well, just for the record, the key word is "small garrison". The story line is most fitting, as this is indeed how these things seem te have been done. However, archeological evidence points to a Klein-kastell or mini-fortress or century-castellum not having corner towers. The size of the rampart would be around 30 by 30 metres, enclosing two barracks, sometimes with a building connecting both, creating a U - shape. I will gladly send an excavation plan and a reconstruction drawing to those interested in reconstructing this type of small fortress. If you go for the castellum reconstruction, the rampart size is about 100 by 120, with a T shaped roadpattern. There is no real retentura in the Limes fortresses in Holland, though these are present in the German Limes castella.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Just as long as there's a bawdy house...i'm happy.

Legion: TBD
A bawdy house? As in brothel??? Sorry for the let down, but these were reputed to have been situated in the surrounding vicus. No bawdiness on Imperial military premises, I'm afraid. Big Grin lol: Oh, the bathhouse was usually situated outside the castellum upwind of prevailing wind direction (in the north-east corner in case of Dutch Limes), this could serve a double function. Nice massage, sahib??
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Do the rest of your unit know you are a Roman? Also - was there any free time to think about you as a Roman in the same place as Trajan's troops, and Julian's and ...

Quote:Wish I could have been there this year, but I ended up in Parthia instead Smile Mike
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castra Lafe 2011 17 -20 March Northeast Arkansas jkaler48 4 3,109 03-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Titius_VI_Legion
  AD43 in Arkansas Caius Fabius 6 2,256 03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Castrum Cologni 1 978 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Last Post: FlaviusCrispus