Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin
I studied Latin in high school. I remember translating stuff from Caesar's 'Gallic Wars' into Latin from English and into English from Latin on exams. Our teacher was a large, humourless, square-shaped woman who we fondly called "the tank." She was kind of scarey. Since that was over 30 years ago, I remember little to no Latin now. Would kind of like to brush up on it if only I had the time. Forgot a good portion of the French I learned, too. <br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Most unfortunately, the french school programs in my days seemed to be the result of a concerted effort by the education authorities to make the study of latin --and greek--an utterly disgusting chore.<br>
Then maybe it was just me, but it looks like the study of those two "dead" languages was excluvely reserved to dead teachers..<br>
...Who, as a result, were blessed with dead students.<br>
It's true that you don't really need a command of those languages to study ancient history.<br>
But I sure miss knowing latin and greek, now.<br>
Besides, the study and latin and greek is not really about speaking the language, it's more about studying its structure. That helps understanding the mental structure of those that spoke them.<br>
As for the way latin was spoken then, I gather there was as many different pronunciations as there are now in modern major languages. The more so as the Empire expanded.<br>
I am pretty sure the "R's" were rolled, though.<br>
And when I pronounce the famous words "Qousque tandem, Catilina, patienta nostra abuteris", somewhat I feel they were uttered by his author in a very emphatic, theatrical way and not in a calm and dignified manner.<br>
Actually, he probably shouted..<br>
I also think the Romans, and the ancients in general, spoke louder than today, being more accustomed to speak in public places.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
A gentleman last year came to a Legio XX (Matt Amt's group in the U.S.) fabrica and talked about doing research on Latin. He suggested that the patricians of Imperial Rome pronounced consonant 'V' as 'W' but others in Roman society (like plebeians) would use a vulgar Latin pronunciation and pronounce consonant 'V' like a 'V'. I wonder if a Roman legionary would have used this last pronunciation (since he would not be a patrician)? <p></p><i></i>
There is at least one other thread about Latin in RAT:<br>
<br>
pub45.ezboard.com/fromana...=121.topic<br>
<br>
I know there is one book on Latin pronuciation, but I haven't bought it.<br>
<br>
Vox Latina by W. Sidney Allen<br>
Publisher: Cambridge Univ Pr (Pap Txt); ; Reprint edition (June 1989)<br>
ISBN: 0521379369 <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell