Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin
In the proper context, Catiline, it makes perfect sense.<br>
<br>
Ancient warfare is far more fun than modern... <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
This thread was OT in the mil-hist forum anyway, so it has been relocated. Let's not talk of ignorance and snobbery -- the point seems moot since no one truly knows Latin anymore (it's a dead language whose corpus of texts is limited), and as for despising ignorance, I'd simply remind one that we're all ignorant in the beginning, and we remain ignorant of far more than we can ever claim to know.<br>
<br>
A certain degree of humility is desirable in posting, particularly in an online forum where one never knows who is reading. Individuals who can't tolerate others, for any reason, don't find much welcome in cordial discussion groups. Please keep collegiality in mind before clicking "add reply."<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Salve,<br>
<br>
Ignorance is a curable affliction and I do not see why every one should be able to know Latin, even less why one should be bothered about people not having a command of it. While knowing Latin or Greek is an advantage there are enough translations around of original texts for one to be able to study ancient history without knowing those two languages. It is not a prerequisite at all. It is a problem with all foreign languages, both modern and ancient, that it is difficult to produce a precise translation, but this afflicts someone who reads the texts directly as well as someone who reads the translation.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Well said Sander, I managed a degree in ancient history without being properly able to read either, especially Greek, which for me goes as far a knowing the alphabet and then being able to change Greek words into English letters and seeing if i can recognise them then. A slow process<br>
<br>
Sorry Jenny, must of had brain fade or i'd have moved it. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
That's quite all right, Cat, and sorry myself -- I've been rather draconian on the OT thread moves lately, but am merely trying to encourage folks to select forums more carefully.<br>
<br>
I'm sure I knew Latin as a native in a previous life E EM , but funny thing, it seems not to have followed me to this one, for I still struggle with Latin. Faugh! I am wrestling with German now. I wish I had been bilingual as a child. The hardwiring for language acquisition would already have been in place.<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I had Greek and Latin for 3 years in Secondary School and some courses while in University, but never managed to become good at it. Without continuous practice Latin and Greek are simply difficult! Now I'm more into epigraphy and the like that that kind of Latin, which was difficult because of the 'code', becomes easier. Having an interest and a use for the languages makes learning them a lot easier! Way better than getting endless lessons in grammar and vocabulary in school!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Well, I don't speek no Latin and I ain't igger...igner... dumb. I've found that when confronted with phrases that I can't read an appropriate response is, "Huh?". This will usually incite the more knowledgeable to explain it to me in small words. (Once someone tried to explain to me phonetically but I wasn't home and missed the call)<br>
<br>
As to physics, I don't wanna have my future read so I don't use them.<br>
<br>
Anyway, as I command English perticu....partikul.... real well, I don't see know need to lern no new old languiges. <p></p><i></i>
What I appreciate about learning any languages, ancient or otherwise, is that the structure of the language will give one deep incite to the psychology of the culture that speaks (or spoke) the language. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
I'd say you'd have to have a very good grasp of the grammar of that language and be an excellent psychologist as well to get any good insights. Or am I thinking too far, come on, give us 'n example, gov!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It takes a high-level, abstract understanding of the language more than an in-the-details delving to get at my point. Japanese is a very abstract language, generally not addressing points very exactly. Latin is very complex and very precise, exact in structure and grammar reflecting the Romans' love for the order of their world. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
German is another language that meets the same discription and infact it is another language I wish to learn. Since I only have limited resources I will study German rather than Latin.<br>
Ciao <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
One of my favorite things to do is to speak latin to others. Right now there is only one person that can understand me completely..lol. She can't speak it back though, unfortunately. Whenever someone talks to me that i don't know or don't want to talk to I simply say a few words in Latin with a sorrowful face like i don't understand..It works every time..lol<br>
<br>
Valete omnes <p></p><i></i>
you could be dead clever and teach Latin to the dog. It'd never know the difference, and when noone else can control it shouting English you can show off and have it do what you say. I think i'm going to teach my dog ancient Greek though, we can learn together.<br>
<br>
Apologies for this completely fatuous reply everybody. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
LOL, Cat<br>
<br>
More of the same:<br>
<br>
A sign at a bus stop:<br>
<br>
"Learn Latin taught by a Roman!" <p></p><i></i>
I have been trying to whip up a bit of interest in Latin.<br>
This week in the Times we had an article and leader referring to the increase of Latin teaching and the success of the Minimus books in Primary schools.<br>
www.minimus-etc.co.uk/mouse.jpg<br>
My idea is that those of us who go into schools take the opportunity of Promoting the books whilst at the same time we try and find Latinists to get into Schools at Lunchtime and teach the Kids Latin.<br>
Derek<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus