Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron Age scale armour/armor
Inspired by the good folks of the Bronze Age Center and Roman Army Talk, I am thinking of replicating some Achaemenid Persian scale armour based on art and the few finds. Right now I am still looking into getting tools and materials, and will soon have to decide whether to imitate iron (with mild steel, or just possibly stainless steel) or bronze (with phosphor bronze or possibly brass) armour. Both materials were definitely commonly used, and the decision may come down to cost and especially availability. I have gotten most of my questions about the mechanics of making armour answered by Todd Feinman of BAC and the lego XX site, but have a few questions for Iron Age reconstructors and reenactors. To wit:

How bad has the rust/cleaning problem been on mild steel scale armour? If I do use mild steel I don’t plan to paint it, tin it, or blacken it (there is no evidence for any of these techniques, and the last two are too complicated for a first armouring project). I might paint the backs of the scales and wax their fronts. I live in a fairly humid area. I have read this thread on the ethics of using stainless rather than mild steel.

I understand that the Romans used brass scale armour. Is there any evidence that brass was used earlier in the iron age?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I am afraid brass was invented during Avgvstvs period 27 BC -14 AD and to my knowledge no where near early iron age.Stick with bronze, iron at the out side also horn is a possibility.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Historically iron armour was often tinned. Some cultures (e.g. India) used galvanisation during the Middle Ages. What is the purpose of your reconstruction? If you want to test it against various weapons then you'd need to find metallurgically correct wrought iron. If not then just use galvanised mild steel.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:I am afraid brass was invented during Avgvstvs period 27 BC -14 AD and to my knowledge no where near early iron age.Stick with bronze, iron at the out side also horn is a possibility.
Drat. Bronze would be very nice, if I can get it. There's no evidence for horm armour, although the Achaemenids used so many weapons from the steppes that some of their troops probably used it at some time.

Quote:Historically iron armour was often tinned. Some cultures (e.g. India) used galvanisation during the Middle Ages. What is the purpose of your reconstruction? If you want to test it against various weapons then you'd need to find metallurgically correct wrought iron. If not then just use galvanised mild steel.
Galvanized mild steel? There's a thought. It would reduce the rust while being somewhat more historical than stainless, and I know I can get some. I'm glad to hear tinning was widely used.

I wasn't planning on testing the armour, since several aspects will have to be plausable guesses. The published sources on how thick Persian armour was aren't very good (only the Persepolis finds were published with side views, and they were mostly iron so badly corroded), we don't know anything about lacing material or backing material, and my resources for testing are limited. Still, if I run across any sources for wrought iron sheet, I might make a seperate section to test one day.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
If you were to use galvinised steel it will take a while but a light polish on a buffer, it turns it like silver tinning and will take that grey look of it.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
One more question, if you don't mind. What do you recommend for polishing galvanized mild steel sheet? Since I will be working with flat plates on a student's budget, I may have to work by hand. I've heard mention of polishing disks you can attach to a regular electric drill- are these sold with the drill, or something you can pick up at a hardware store?
Nullis in verba

Quote:polishing galvanized mild steel sheet

Confusedhock:

Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

Sean you can get polishing mops from good hardware stores ,you need to buy the arbor as well to attach it to your drill .When I come back from Chester I will show you polished galvenised plus mop gear. Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Could I have those photos, Brennie? Parenthically, I hope I did that vocative right. No problems if you cant, but I will probably be getting metal next weekend.
Nullis in verba

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scale Armor & Accuracy markusaurelius 160 37,696 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman scale armor Vexillation 7 2,303 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Last Post: FarDarter
  Scale Armour for infantry and cavalry. Gaius Julius Caesar 18 4,336 01-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar