Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman scale armor
Salve,

I have two questions regarding the roman scale armour.

1. Is there anywhere you can actually buy scale armour at a "reasonable" price, or do you have to make it yourself? I know deepeeka sells scales for instance. I am talking 200 AD-ish.

2. Do we have any assumptions on how common scale armor was and how it stands up to other armor types of the era? Chainmail seem to have been the "standard" armor, I assume that scale was either more expensive, harder to maintain and/or gave a lesser degree of protection. I have never fiddled around with scale armor myself so I have no clue what to expect from it. What are your experiences?
You can buy DSC or Al-hammd scale armours made to measure by Armamentaria (UK) and Soul of the warrior (USA). These seem to be the best off-the-shelf scale armours available. Several other suppliers supply custom made armours, which are a bit more expensive.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Deepeeka is in the process. Of upgrading and making new models. Also, we are also taking custom size orders. Watch this space for pics.
I bought loose scales from DSc. verry accurate size and shape and nicely dished. I used those scales to make a great piece of accurate armour.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Markus Montanvs - my experience of manufacturing scale armour is rather limited (hardly surprising I guess) . How difficult and time consuming was it? Do you have any pictures of it in full glory?
And I will keep my eyes open for the new Deepeekas as well
Read this thread, it is one I started on scale armour accuracy as currently produced by manufactures (or lack of their accuracy). There are a lot of images through the thread of original artifacts and the edging. On page 7 I show images of the armour I made.

The armour took a lot of time to make. By the time you link each scale to each other and see them to a fitted backing you are looking at least at 200 hours of work. It took me well over a year of hobby time work to get it done.

Scale armor

Good luck. It was not only rewarding. But enjoyable as well
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Lykia Lamellars makes a few scale armours. I've never bought from them, so I couldn't say anything about their quality(nor do they list their prices for some reason) but they make some pretty cool stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scale Armor & Accuracy markusaurelius 160 36,787 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Scale Armor with sleeves... markusaurelius 9 4,263 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Scale armor reconstruction lup_alb 2 1,806 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Last Post: lup_alb