Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Sword Placement
In the first century, did the Germans (Batavians) wear their swords on the left or right hip?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Right as far was we know. Most European/mediterannean armies that used the body shield did.
I would think that it would be either side. The Germanic tribes didn't have an army (in the traditional since) just a group of warriors. There were do uniforms or anything uniform about them so it would really depend on you.

The Tribe did not really provide anything, like Rome providing most everything. Everything they had sword, sheild, spear had to me made or purchased with there own money.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
I know that the Osprey books on the Germans typically displays the swords on the left hip, but I don't know if that's accurate. I have found some things in the Osprey books that I believe to be false. Just thought I'd add my two cents.
-Amalric
(Steven Bulman)

Member of Legio V Alaudae
If I remember correctly, the excavators of the bog find in Illerup Adal specifically state in their publications that all swords were worn on the right side and the reconstructions in their publications as well as the museum show the swords worn that way (you can easily find them on the internet).

I have never been able to tell on what facts that conclusion is based because the scabbards/baldrics appear to be suitable for use on either the left or right side. Maybe somebody else from this forum will know?

The bog finds are particularly interesting as the majority of swords and baldrics are concluded to be roman products. It is generally assumed that at this time (ca AD 200) the romans were wearing their swords on the left.

The supposedly roman baldrics and scabbards in the bog find show fairly standard roman slides and chapes but the method of wearing them appears to have been different because they apparently used bronze knobs on both sides of the scabbard to fasten the baldric.

Regards,

Jens
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I don't know exactly how the sword position was determined, but judging by some of the Illerup photos, there may have been enough organic remains of baldrics and belts to be absolutely certain in some cases; and perhaps the relationship of belt/baldric plaques and buckles was useful also.

http://www.illerup.dk/deepweb.php?page=150&language=1

see numbers 73 and 74 for the organic remains, and 90 and 91 for the reconstructions - on the right side as Jens said.
Felix Wang

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword Harjaz 32 13,695 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus