Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carthaginians and camels - non military use
I was surprised to see the camel cataphract topic resurface again after such a long time and it makes it rather humorous that I have another question concerning camels Wink

Specificially I am interested in the use of camels by the Carthaginians in a non-military role, in commerce and travel. Obviously travel by sea would be preferrable seeing as most of their cities and towns were along the coast. But for overland travel and for those less finanicially well off is there any information on the use of camels?

Obviously the camel truly took off in Northern Africa with the arrival of Islam and Arab camel riding traditions, but there were camels there before, although to what degree I have no idea. Can you guys point me in the direction of any historical data concerning Carthaginian use of camels in everyday life? Any information on the preferred pack animal they used in the desert?

I don't know if this is the right forum to be posting this in or not, so Mods feel free to move it if necessary Big Grin
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Carthaginians probaly did not use camels, that are first mentioned in northern africa, west of Siwa, around 46 BC, before the battle of Thapsus when Caesar captures 22 belonging to the numidian king Juba (DE BELLO AFRICO, chapter 69).
Michael
Many thanks! Big Grin
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carthaginians??? Celtic505 9 2,717 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Celtic505