Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carthaginians???
I can never find any modern recreations or descriptions of what the Carthaginian army or typical soldier would have looked like. Not the foreign troops under Hannibal, but an actual Soldier of Carthage. What kind of armor and weapons would they have used? What kind of tactics did they implore? I probably haven't looked into it as much as I could, but I have looked into it and can't find anything. I am assuming they would've had a kind of Hellenistic look to them, but does anybody know anymore on the topic and/or have any illustrations?
Dennis Flynn
From what i know, the Carthaginian army was Macedonian like. It had a Macedonian phalanx, supported by African light troops. Its equipment resembles Greek troops from that era (large round shield, mail, helmet and long spear).

Just like Thebes, Carthage also had a sacred band - composed entirely of citizens and operated like a phalanx. Its numbers however were never high (several hundred).
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
I suppose they also adopted Spanish equipment during the Barcas campaigns, as they spent some time subdueing and wooing the local tribes?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dear friend toyr anseew is probably here :

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 1&start=80
Please have the patience to go through this thread .

Kind regards
Thanks alot you guys! I think I have an idea or at least a picture in my head of how they would look. And hoplite14gr, that thread was definately very helpful for me, thanks!!!
Dennis Flynn
Hi Dennis J Flynn III,

Please add your real name to your signature. It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I just added it today, sorry bout that.
Dennis Flynn
No worries, thnx :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Carthaginians also adopted equipment from the Roman, during their Italian campaign (Hanibal).
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
But did the Carthaginians have any equipment that was uniquely punic/phoenician? Or was it more of a kind of typical hellenistic army adopting bits of dress and equipment here and there on campaigns or trade?
Dennis Flynn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carthaginians and camels - non military use Paullus 2 1,720 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Paullus