Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Wargaming
Quote:HI!

Any games out there that represent cohort level combats?

Matt Webster

I have played these types of figure wargames since the 1967 (thanks to Airfix miniatures, Hinchliffe, Minifig, Old Glory, Wargames Foundry and others). I have several different sets of ancients rules, from the first version of DBA, and DBM, Tactica, Warhammer Ancients, Original Chainmail, Legion, Blood and Iron, Pilum, Goat Wars, several versions of WRG Ancients rules, Rudy Nelson's rules with campaign rules, and about half a dozen others. I recommend Piquet for Cohort/legion battles. I recommend Warhammer Ancients at 1 to 1 scale for smaller battles and 'Goat Wars' for skirmishes and raids (less than 20 men per side). I am told that Warhammer ancients is coming out with a revision of their siege rules in the near future. 'Zvezda' has a really simple set of ancient rules, but the English translation doesn't really work.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote: I recommend Piquet for Cohort/legion battles. I recommend Warhammer Ancinets at 1 to 1 scale for smaller battles and 'Goat Wars' for skirmishes and raids. I am told that Warhammer ancients is coming out with a revision of their siege rules in the near future. 'Zvezda' has a really simple set of ancient rules, but the English translation doesn't really work.

I have warhammer ancients rules and I am familiar with them, but this would represent a handful of centuries at best (unless you had a gymnasium and a couple of days to play out the game).

I'll do some research on Piquet and Goat wars (goat wars?!?) thanks for the tip.

Matt Webster
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."

Matthew Webster
Lately i'm playing arcane warfare, a rule made by a friend of mine; it's more realistic than DBA or DBM and absolutly free.

http://www.dnir.net/JerboaNet/AWr/AWr.htm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting to get starting in miniature wargaming Anonymous 8 2,307 12-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Miniature Wargaming Anonymous 37 9,379 03-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Anonymous