Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miniature Wargaming
How does miniature wargaming work? I like board wargames an awful lot, and after reading a little bit about miniature gaming here, I'm curious to know more. Do you play with cards and dice the way you do board games? <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Yes, you do. I never played any ancient wargames with miniatures, but I've got some very old booklets about it that suggest simple rules and figure ratios for some battles.<br>
Fun thing is: you can go on for ever and ever about these rules. What you're trying to do is catch ancient warfare within a set of rules that are kept as simple as possible. Ergo: ground for endless discussions! Cool huh!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes, very cool. I'll have to look for some when I go to Game Empire! <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Let me earn my keep and send this over to Roman Historical Gaming & Modelling. <p></p><i></i>
Found some rules: www.hat.com/Othr2/Schulz2.html<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Well, if you're a purist, you'll be using Wargames Research Group (WRG) Ancients rules, but those can be a bit on the arcane side. There are a number of more recent efforts, some of which sacrifice realism for playability and speed.<br>
<br>
And let's not even mention 40k...<br>
<br>
E EM<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I have a bit of a problem with making games "realistic". It's a game, and it should be fun. That's why I quit playing GURPs. There were just too many rules to keep track of.<br>
<br>
I usually end up playing with gut-feeling when I find a game is getting too complicated. With all those rules and regulations, it hardly simulates real life. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
What's wrong with a bit of 40k.<br>
<br>
Actually i do have a set of the warhammer Ancient rules, god knows why, the closest I've efver come to gaming with my minatures was with paper napoleonic units a couple of years ago against my brother, all was fine until the cat...<br>
<br>
I think the emphasis on playbility and speed tends to be Warhammers strength though. It gets people involved, and as the basic mechanics are the same kids can move over from the fantasy rules to the Ancients fairl;y easily. I intend to beat my brother all around the park with my Spartans when I get enough painted pu, and he ought to catch on quickly. Realism is all well and good, but many of the complex systems I've seen played actually get very unrealistic, too bogged down in the effects of rain on bow strings and the like, you loose flow and fun, and get rules lawyer. Kept fast and simple, and without the ability to control every last thing i think the games are actually more realistic from the point of view of you as an ancient commander.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Hmmm...I'll have to check out the Warhammer ancient rules games. I've only played Warhammer Quest and Warhammer 2020. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Here are a few links.<br>
<br>
Wargaming sites:<br>
<br>
SOA, but luckily the English abbreviation: Society of Ancients<br>
Roman wargaming page<br>
<br>
Rules<br>
<br>
Ancient Rules<br>
<br>
Figurines<br>
<br>
Wargames Foundry<br>
Haet<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
DBA is supposed to be a good place to start, though i've never played it my self, this site is very useful for all sorts of reasons, especially if you're just starting out. Based on their rules as well, but 90% of the info is transferable.<br>
<br>
fanaticus.jiffynet.net/DBA/index.html<br>
<br>
Foundry are about the best you can get in 28mm IMO. THey are expensive, but they're wehat I buy, the theory being I'd rather have a few of the best than hordes of mediocre troops, but there are loads of other good manufacturers out there<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Ships and fortifications:<br>
www.rodlangton.com<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi<br>
<br>
I seem to be the odd man out here in that I came to Roman history via wargaming (whereas the rest of you seem to be going the other way?). But anyway; there are several sets out there to play with.<br>
"De Bellis Multitudinus" (DBM for short) put out by WRG. Very popular, but leads to some pretty unhistorical play from my own observations. "DBA" is it's smaller, more abstract and chess-like predecessor. Good for a quick fix (usually 20-30 min per game!) or for resolving battles in a bigger strategic game. There are also "Classical Hack" by Phil Viverito and "Ancient Warfare" by Terry Gore. both not bad with some interesting ideas, but they're too reminiscent of the old WRG 6th edition Ancient rules for my tastes. "Tactica" is mechanically simple but very limited. Every game ends up being the same. "Armati" is sort of a "Tactica meets DBM" hybrid. But the games are quick. "Warhammer Ancient Battles" is very fun and novice friendly, but I dislike the mechanics (I've got to roll to hit, roll to wound and THEN after all that he gets a SAVING THROW???!!). Nice production values and their supplements are full of info for the novice getting into a period. I enjoyed their "Fall of the West" supplement for the Later Empire even though I don't play the rules. the pictures are inspiration to get my Gothic hordes finished.<br>
<br>
Hopefully, someday soon my own rules will get published; "Legion and Empire; Miniature Wargaming in the Roman Era" They're period specific (Punic Wars to Fall of Western Empire) so I hope to have lots of period detail without having to overly complicate the rules. I have the latest playtest draft available as a .pdf file if anyone is intersted. the idea is to have historically rooted, period specific rules that are mechanically simple and novice friendly. the new ancient gamer should be able to read his Penguin Classic of the Gallic Wars and refight it on the table top and have something that actually looks like an ancient battle. ( I once witnessed an Armati game with a Roman army deployed in deep columns with legions on the flanks and cavalry in the center! yikes....)<br>
<br>
James <p></p><i></i>
Free downloads of miniatures rules are available from<br>
these web sites:<br>
<br>
alienstar<br>
<br>
and<br>
<br>
freewargamesrules<br>
<br>
The alienstar site has two excellent free sets for the ancient period: "Phalanx" for fast play and "Historicon" for more detailed games.<br>
<br>
Their site can have some access problems from time to time, but do persist.<br>
<br>
MGM <p></p><i></i>
Hi James,<br>
<br>
I'd be interested in those rules. I got to thi site from the same direction you did and I'm reaing Gallic Wars right now. How's that?<br>
<br>
Geert <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical Wargaming Avatar 17 4,659 03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Last Post: taira1180
  Wanting to get starting in miniature wargaming Anonymous 8 2,303 12-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Anonymous