Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qasr Bshir
One of the best-preserved forts in the Roman empire, constructed in the late 3rd/early 4th century AD. Here are some photos (I've been digitising old slides and decided these merited posting) as well as some Google Earth jiggerypokery, in the form of .kml and .kmz files. Note that I can't actually get Google Earth to fire up on these links (but that may just be because I haven't got file types configured correctly on my linux version of GE), so best to right click, save to disk, then use File->Open in GE itself.

If you don't have or can't run Google Earth you can still see Bshir by using Google Maps.

The amount of Roman military stuff in Jordan that is clearly visible on Google Earth is astounding and one day I will post my collection here.... but not yet ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Very tasty. The photos really enhance the whole thing Big Grin

What a lonely place.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Mister Bishop!

That fort was on another link on here a while ago, and has impressed me quite a bit! Mind you, most new stuff on here does.........

Pity it is soo far away! Thanks for the link to your photos! Big Grin

When I win the lottery, my house is going to look just like that! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What i like so much is to see the tabula ansata still in use in the 4th century!

M.VIB.M.

Lovely photos Mike!!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Very good - thank you! I also like your picturers of Calleva Atrebatum - my favorite Roman town in Britain.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Qasr Bshir Jona Lendering 14 3,049 12-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Qasr Ibrim shoes Tarbicus 5 1,974 10-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Neuraleanus
  Roman fortress: Al-Qasr, Dakhla Oasis (Egypt) Praefectusclassis 4 1,650 03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Last Post: richsc