Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qasr Ibrim shoes
Took a couple of photos of these shoes from Qasr Ibrim for reference.

[Image: 13032006179.jpg]

Rear part of leather boot
1st century BC - 1st century AD
Probably a caliga. The boot is made from a single sheet of leather. A separate underside would have been attached to the base. There are traces of tooling around the edge of the ties.

[Image: 13032006180.jpg]

Leather boot
A leather thong would probably have been used to lace up the bootin front of the ankle.

13032006165.jpg

I can't read the photos description I'm afraid (low light), but it does say they are Roman, and probably belonged to members of the garrison. Both are made of leather.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim, thanks for making those available! That's in the British Museum, right? I think I need to get to London again sometime soon :-) )
Yes Martin, they are from the British Museum.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Are these the type of boots Julius Caesar's legions would have worn..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:Are these the type of boots Julius Caesar's legions would have worn..?
Johnny

Hm, I can only speak for what finds I know and those are all 1st cent AD and later. The Mainz calcei are dated early 1st cent. AD

Anybody know of earlier Roman finds?
This is the first caliga image that I've seen clearly showing both the back stitching and the protective piece along the bottom back. Martin's guess on it's application is now substantiated!
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Qasr Bshir Jona Lendering 14 3,062 12-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Qasr Bshir mcbishop 4 1,700 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman fortress: Al-Qasr, Dakhla Oasis (Egypt) Praefectusclassis 4 1,652 03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Last Post: richsc