Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohort of British Auxiliaries on Hadrian\'s Wall
Thanks Adrian. That seems to support what I have heard, both the dying twice and the pale colour. Maybe for a small scale production such as might have been done in any small community dying textiles more than once would be OK but if you are doing it on an industrial scale as the Romans would have done then it would get more expensive. Nevertheless I have seen two green coloured saddle covers and the famous picture showing some of Justinian's guards in Green.

Quote:Why the RMRS chose green I don't know. (Before my time with them!)

I do not know why they would choose blue for first century legionaries either, certainly not a dark blue as again that also means the textiles were dyed for longer. I did mention jokingly to Len Morgan once that if ever I got the chance to illustrate a soldier from the Fourteenth I would put him in red. Last year I had to do something for Coventry museums so I did! :wink:

A tombstone of Draccus from Vienna a cavalryman from a British raised unit ALA I FLAVIA DOMITIANA BRITANNICA MILLIARIA had traces of blue paint around his neck. Unfortunately only his head and shoulders are shown so what the blue is, either scarf, tunic or cloak is not clear. I wonder now if the blue is associated with the British as you also get the famous Vegetius quote to do with the Venetian blue clothing for sailors from the British fleet. Of course not all sailors or marines wore blue as there is another tombstone of Sabinianus a marine from Crete which had traces of red paint on both tunic and cloak.

Quote:Personally I prefer more natural undyed wools like browns/beiges.

For the bulk of clothing I would tend to agree but a document from Egypt ordering clothing for the military did specify good quality white wool tunics.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I do not know why they would choose blue for first century legionaries either, certainly not a dark blue as again that also means the textiles were dyed for longer.

I think originally it was so that they weren't mistaken for the ESG! :wink: They took the colours from the illustration by Peter Connolly in his G&R@W.
Interesting. Cohors levied in Britain ended up in Dacia and cohors levied in Dacia ended up on Hadrian's Wall in Britain. Well ... it seems that we are more related than we know :lol:
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Sounds like some kind of 'foreign exchange' programme!

There is a deicatory stone of the First Aelian Cohort of Dacians, showing a Dacian falx on its face. (RIB 1914) from Birdoswald, now in the Newcastle Museum of Antiquities. They were proud of their native weapons!
Quote:Nevertheless I have seen two green coloured saddle covers and the famous picture showing some of Justinian's guards in Green.

Where is this reference of Justinian's guards?

Is it possible for the first cohort in a Legion to have worn green for battle? Being the best and all?

Legion: TBD
Hello Matt

Quote:Where is this reference of Justinian's guards?

The mosaics in Ravenna Italy. More exactly in the Basilica St. Vitale. One Guard is in a decorated red tunic another in a decorated green tunic with highly decorated shields. I am sure someone somewhere must have an image available?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Here is the best I could find:

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/med ... tinian.jpg
Thank you both!

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilia - Tungrian on Hadrian\'s Wall Paul Elliott 19 5,553 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall ParthianBow 52 13,532 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hadrian\'s Wall Charity Walk Tony Riches 9 2,378 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: chrisanson