Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scuta colors
"Interesting that it seems to take many elements from Dando-Collins' book on the subject for that page, himself notably lacking footnotes, but the sources on the real history page are notably lacking in primary sources for the origins and earlier history of the legion, except for works attributed to Caesar alone. "

There is NO Dando on the Real Page... Mostly Caesar, Adkins, Tacitus, Etc. It is nearly all sourced, not sure what you meant here. Of Course I was not sure it was going to be graded when I wrote it. :roll:
Sorry Rusty, wasn't meant to offend! Maybe Dando-Collins read it and thought "Hmmm...."? Just to assure you, I wasn't making any connection between him and the real history page, and I was only referring to the early history of the Sixth.

And while you're here, do you fancy taking your posts out of Magnus' thread on global warming like I did, so he can have it back :wink: :wink: :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Rusty Myers wrote:
Quote:I have to find it, but it is sourced for real. As is the "Fake" History page, note I was VERY careful to say Fallacious. We used it for a 12 foot Legion History Scroll that we had illustrated with roman artwork, a gorgeous thing, but the yellow came from one of the hundred or so books I have here... guess I will have to re-read them all, as I can't find the reference in Caesar's works, but I did not make that color up, personally would have chosen Green I think.

[quote]When I find it I will be sure to post it, but having a life outside of Rome ]inconvenient as it is) insures it will take a while to find. But I assure you I did not make up yellow... I red it![sic] /quote]

Hi Rusty

Please do but I know exactly what you mean. Age also does not help and I very often almost convince myself I have read something in a particular book only to eventually find it was completely different and in another book entirely!

However to help narrow down your search you only have to look through your Roman books which mention Caesar! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
There actually are provable examples of feminine attributes in military gear, if anyone has a problem with the yellow 'bridal' colour: Cavalry sports (or not sports) face mask helmets with female Amazon faces and hair.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Doesnt Arrians ;Tactica' mention yellow? I'm not certain from memory if it;s tunics or plumes/crests :?
Adrian wrote:

Quote:Doesnt Arrians ;Tactica' mention yellow? I'm not certain from memory if it;s tunics or plumes/crests

Indeed he does Adrian. Arrian refers to Yellow crests used during the cavalry sports events but as I have already mentioned this in my book it is not the reference I am looking for. It seems to be connected with one of Caesar's Legions possibly in either the Alexandrian or African campaigns.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Wow... took me a while to see this... but I am now a source for Dando Collins??? No wonder his stuff confuses me so... And no wonder he does not want to cite it!! Big Grin

I was not offended really, just think you guys were looking at a depth I never intended those things to go to. If I wanted to write a book, I would. I only write research papers for my graduate school... though I am tempted to work on one for this. The yellow thing drives me nuts. I have to find it to insure my sanity! Confusedhock:

I think the history is sourced pretty well, looking at it, I tried to have a source for every paragraph, may not be primary, but from scholarly works. :?
Quote:Good lord Man, of all the colors out there, why would I make up yellow?

[...]
Sorry, didn't realise that that was your own site. But as far as I know Caesar does not mentions colours in his writings, even the colour of his own cloak he doesn't specify.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
I read about Yellow crests, possibly in Caesar! :roll: :roll: :? ?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Doesnt Arrians ;Tactica' mention yellow? I'm not certain from memory if it;s tunics or plumes/crests :?
Correct, he says that the cavalry wore yellow plumes during the Hyppica Gymnastica. He further mentions Cimmerian tunics (surcoats?) that are red, hyacint or multicoloured (Ars Tactica, 34).
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters