Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Date for Gladi?
What is the latest date that gladi are seen in use? 3rd century?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
According to Bishop and Coulston i would say, that the gladius started to die in the ending (perhaps already in the middle) of the 2nd century and was out of regular use in early 3rd century.
Nevertheless there will be sure the one or other in circulation.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Further to what Tib. Gabinius states, the sculpural evidence of the period also shows a transition from the two belt sword suspension method to the over the shoulder Baldric.

Further more according to Bishop and Coulston, the Marcus column shows both the triangular Chape point and the new heart shaped or circular chape and slide suspension method normally associated to the Spatha. Perhaps the 180's and 90's can be considered a transition period.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Is there a transitional blade between gladius, and spatha at this time?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I think the ring pommel sword could well have been a transitional period model. It propably came from the danube area (sarmatians?) and had usually the same length blade or a bit longer than the pompeii gladius (50-60 cm?), although the point was shortish and tapering. Correct me if I am totally wrong :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The ring pommel sword definately came into use during this transition period. From what I understand it also didn't stay long either. By the 3rd Century the Spatha was the norm. Perhaps the army was undergoing some serious restructuring during that period. Something where a few influences from areas such as the Danube came into play in the area of weapons for instance.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gladi gemini et ageminati marcos 4 2,047 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake