Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gladi gemini et ageminati
Here a couple of gladi pompei type, dating to the end of the 1st - beginning 2nd cent. AD

Both in  good condition, they are absolutely remarkable for two reasons:

- first of all, they are inlaid. 
We know several later ageminatae spathae but none gladius (as far as I know, of course).
XRF tests have been made on both of the inlays, showing that it is not aurichalcum, as one can expect, but  gold. This is a lucky, because  thanks to this, the status of conservation of the inlays is pretty perfect. Orichalcum  would have not have been so good.  Anyhow, golden inlays on a gladius is a very interesting scientific  information.
One shows the classic Mars, with the expected helmet, shield and spear, the other shows a more stylized  winged Victoria, handling the usual laurel crown.

- Second, as far as I know, this is the only known couple of twin gladii. Found together, they  are quite exactly alike, (below dimensional details in mm and gr.)

Mars gladius                          Victory gladius            

Total lenght                605                                       605
Blade lenght               465                                       461
Blade width                 39                                         38
Shoulder width            42                                        42
point                           60                                         60
thickness                     6.5                                        5.5
weight                         536                                       463

Being a river finding, I guess they were a votive offer of a higher rank than a private legionary, but this is only a guess of mine.

To whom interested in restoration, I add an image showing the steps of the cleaning of the Mars inlay, where is possible to see the original status untill the end of the cleaning proceedings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Nice
can you tell us where they were found?
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thumbs Up 
Marcos wow thank you for posting these two Gladi very unusual way to execute the images and in gold, also the mars is upside down ? Compared to other inlaid swords. Thanks also for the sizes as well Big Grin  Cool
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Well, what I know is just they come form Moesia or Dacia.

In later spathae the inlays are towards the point, how in this case is the Victoria, while Mars is upside down. Or at least it seems so, I think that there wasn't a strict rule in all ancient military stuff.

As expected,xrf shows that gold is added with copper in order the get a proper alloy.

Brennivs, why do you think is an unusual way to do images?  Tongue
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Marcos most of this type of inlay I have seen shows the image to yourself with the blade pointed upwards as you hold the sword, as to the way it is done to my knowledge the figues are solid and then finished with dot punch and engraving. I have a pdf ? or image of the ones that have been found with distrubution mostly outside the Empire, but as ever if anyone can show please show. I will try to find it Huh  otherwise thanks again for the info Cool
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Gemini' arrow release, late Roman? richsc 5 3,188 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Latest Date for Gladi? Primvs Pavlvs 5 1,945 12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius