Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian Illustration
Quote:Thanks everyone..!

I based the helmet on a actual find from a Scythian grave. I'll see if I can find the article. The crest is just a typical Greek design. The Scythians seemed to like Greek fashions..!

Johnny

The wars between de Scythians and the Greeks resulted in the Greek fashions being introduced in the Scythian army, I guess.
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Situation in the Northern colonies was volatile.
One city would trade with a Skythian clan and be at war with another.
A Skythian clan at war with another would sell their captives to the colonists.
How do you think Athenians got their Skythian policemen?
And a Skythian chieftain might thought that a captured Greek with technical skills was better alive and working than being ritually slain :twisted:

Kind regards
As the Egyptians got their Lybians policemen etc.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Johnny,

absolutely astonishing Your phantastic work - I get the impression that You are still extending Your facilities. I have some Osprey books at home from which I wish that You would have been the illustrator.

Greets and have a nice Christmas - keep on Your marvellous work
Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Sorry that this is a bit OT, but I dont have drawings of ancient times.

This is my Grandpa who passed away around 2000... & below a lion I did long time ago, that my little brother left his marks! :evil: ...but I love it too because it left memories to tell :lol:

Both are very old!.. so i dont think i can draw like that anymore.

===============================================

Oh!.... i found the last one, a self portrait, wit the roman parade armor of King Charles V of Spain, made by a italian (if I recall correctly). He was cousin of Duke d' Alba at the same time cousin of the Komnenos.

I love his armor, because its lion heads, by that time I drew alot of lions & still love them Smile ...

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Comerus,
Great illustrations..!
The lion is wonderful..! Keep drawing.....
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:Comerus,
Great illustrations..!
The lion is wonderful..! Keep drawing.....
Johnny

Hi Johnny!..... thanks 4 appreciate my crapy art!....I wish I can color like you do! :lol:

...the rest who dont like it!....Go to the [size=150:2gm5e9n2]Sh![/size]....uaba

BTW: I found this illustration yesterday, when I was looking for may drawings....

The info say: Its a Scythian....the costume probably date from a period well after Dariu's invasion to Europe....

I bagely recall seen the helmet on persian troops, but cant remember much. It could be a Turk

Two reconstruction of Saka infantry; is based on the seal shown in the middle.

Johnny, when are you gonna illustrate an Osprey book? Haven't they contacted you yet?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Very nice drawing Johnny!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scythian Illustration Johnny Shumate 17 3,716 03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus