Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian Illustration
Archer of the Steppes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ ... ythian.jpg
Johnny Shumate
Ooooooohhh!....Ooooooh!

You hit the spot! Confusedhock: .... Arthes Also would be fasinated about this one! 8)

I love tha Phrygian-boeothian helm, I thought to have a custom made one, well it is my gold to have the helmets most rare & not reproduced yet for my private collection! :twisted:

If you in your mind think of do one of Philip in Verginas kit, I will ask permition to some one, to show you something new! :wink:

BTW thank you! karma point added!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Confusedhock:

looks really good!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
[size=200:xa8fw5sw]wow!![/size]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Cool staff Johhny!!!
Kind regards
Am I the only one to be somewhat worried by the "Boeotian/Phrygian" helmet - and the rather celtic-looking sword?
The references for the sword and helmet are found in the Osprey title, "Scythians 700-300BC". Look up pages 10 and 33.
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Skythians were not only looters but also controlers of trade roots.
"Unusual" items could be in the posession of nobles at least.
Kind regards
Quote:The references for the sword and helmet are found in the Osprey title, "Scythians 700-300BC". Look up pages 10 and 33.
Johnny

I haven't got that book, Johnny. Someone in the HA probably has, though.
Having said that, I must add that I've rather lost faith in the Osprey illustrations ( they show impossibly shallow shields, in some cases, for one thing); does the book give a provenance for such a helmet?
Quote:
TNarcher:2pzljdyp Wrote:The references for the sword and helmet are found in the Osprey title, "Scythians 700-300BC". Look up pages 10 and 33.
Johnny

I haven't got that book, Johnny. Someone in the HA probably has, though.
Having said that, I must add that I've rather lost faith in the Osprey illustrations ( they show impossibly shallow shields, in some cases, for one thing); does the book give a provenance for such a helmet?

Here:
[Image: p6helmet.jpg]

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Well, that's pretty conclusive! Thanks, I've learnt something.
Quote:Ooooooohhh!....Ooooooh!

You hit the spot! Confusedhock: .... Arthes Also would be fasinated about this one! 8)
She is........ Big Grin
That is definitely......oooooooooooh.....gorgeous..
I was in a bookshop 'down South' the other day, drooling through the Ospreys, but they didn't have the Scythian one... Sad
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The photo of the helmet is from another source,Osprey's Scythian & Thracians just bring drawings plate like this onehe phrygian helmet.
[Image: img277.jpg]

BTW: I just tryed to convinced this guy to make bussiness with me for this Scythian helm, but as you can see I didn't run with such luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... id=&sasel=

Nice helmet, but isn't it Attic, rather than Corinthian? ( sticking my neck out again!)
Quote:BTW: I just tryed to convinced this guy to make bussiness with me for this Scythian helm, but as you can see I didn't run with such luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... id=&sasel=

Shame on this guy and everyone else selling artefacts on eBay like this. It should be taken to the local museum for investigation! :?
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scythian Illustration Johnny Shumate 24 5,141 12-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat