Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas!! (A Contrary view)
Quote:My advisor routinely asks me to do just this thing, either render all dieties in lower case or all in caps. Somehow it just feels wrong to write "the virigin mary". Confusedhock: so I opt to capitalize everything in my dissertation.

It's the new post-modern trend as well. I don't capitalize Pagan usually because pagan does not describe any specific unified system of beliefs. The pagans of N. Europe are as distinct from the Pagans of the mediterranean as Christians are from Jews. I wouldn't captilize pagan anymore than I would captilize "animism" or "shamanism". These are not unified belief systems but aspects of larger traditions. So in most cases capitalizing "paganism" would be wrong unless you are referring to a specific cult (which I use in the clinically neutral way meaning a system of worship and not the unfortunately derogatory way it is used today) in which case, a more specific term should probably be used.

This is my own approach as well. I would understand "paganism" as an umbrella term encompassing a number of distinct religions (e.g. Wicca, Asatru, and Druidism).

Now, if a person says "I am a Pagan," I would be inclined to capitalize the word in quotation... as it would appear that is the self-identification of their religious faith. However, that would not negate my overall understanding of the term "paganism" as described above. And, of course, all deities should be capitalized, as they are typically proper names (e.g. Jupiter, Mars, Mercury... and of course even such non-planetary entities as Mithras!).
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium

Messages In This Thread
Capitalization - by Primitivus - 12-19-2006, 05:00 AM
capital LETTERS - by Goffredo - 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Denominational Diversity - by Primitivus - 12-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Re: Denominational Diversity - by Arthes - 12-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Heathenism - by Primitivus - 12-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Merry Christmas! Flavivs Aetivs 4 2,311 12-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat