Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary
Really nice work Yannis.
Uniformity would aid visual presentation in a game or film but probably never existed in Ancient times. Even for the Spartans we are not sure about uniformity. Very few city states had elite units.
The colonies that were richer than the mainland utilized lots of mercenaries from the mainland and that meant a variety of appearances.

Kind regards
Quote:Really nice work Yannis.
Uniformity would aid visual presentation in a game or film but probably never existed in Ancient times. Even for the Spartans we are not sure about uniformity. Very few city states had elite units.
The colonies that were richer than the mainland utilized lots of mercenaries from the mainland and that meant a variety of appearances.

Kind regards
I agree with you but the game has some hardcoded limits so we have to present units as ''clones''. The only thing we could do is to have unique hoplites (and more than one in faction''playable'' cities, one in independed cities) recruitable by all players so when you field an army of hoplites you can have various appearences in armour and shields.

In MTW2 they solved the clones issue and the same unit has multiple heads torsos and weaponry so you can have variation, but the whole set moved to middle ages so theres alot more work to be done. We ll see..

The point here though is that the RTW as it was issued by the company has no relation with historic reality. The units i showed which are light years better than the CA ones are done by a team of hobbyests. Some are proffessionals in graphics (im graphic designer) but with no previous experience in game industry and most didnt even knew what 3dmax is before modding RTW. If we can do it they should do alot better dont you think? Instead thet lent the product in documentaries or better documentary channels want their product, put in some horrible graphics, hire some peackocks to say few lines and we have to say WOW.... i dont think so :wink:
If they want to do something serious the technology is available to deliver superb results, i think everybody was awed by the Lord of the Rings effects. all those orc phalanxes are digital. For a documentary something with even half quality would look great. I sick of seeing in 2007 historical documentaries by huge worldwide channels with the same one guy with ''monastiraki'' helmet weaving a sword in the air :lol:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Quote:As to the Time Commanders series, the horses in that were poor, having excessively long necks which made them look like dinosaurs.

You mean... something like this? Wink

[Image: horse.jpg]
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Folks, best save the discussion of RTW to the proper part of the forum!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, SIR!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentary on Thermopylae Gladius Hispaniensis 7 2,355 07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Mythos_Ruler
  History channel productions Idomeneas 29 6,069 05-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  The Battle of Marathon - History Channel Arthes 4 1,752 01-28-2007, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Arthes