RomanArmyTalk
Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary (/showthread.php?tid=7774)

Pages: 1 2

Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Arthes - 12-15-2006

Greetings,
I found these three on YouTube, includes CGI scenes, comments by Steven Pressfield and Paul Cartledge ...plus Greek subtititles....!
Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3
Just for those who haven't seen it...
regards
Arthes

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Robert Vermaat - 12-16-2006

Thanks Christina, a laudes to you!

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Magnus - 12-16-2006

AWESOME...thank you!!!

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Et tu brute - 12-17-2006

Has anyone (who plays RTW) noticed that it uses the graphics engine from RTW and the sounds.

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Susanne - 12-17-2006

Yes, Creative Assembly scripted a number of exclusive battles for the Decisive Battles series. And need I say that the result is breathtaking... Smile

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Et tu brute - 12-17-2006

They also did another TV programme that was similar called time commanders heres a description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders

it's was really good, it's a shame they wont be bringing out a new series.

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - hoplite14gr - 12-17-2006

The only complain is that they use the underarm thrust for hoplites.
Not correct in my opinion
Kind regards

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Susanne - 12-18-2006

If I recall correctly there's a mod team that has seen to it and given the hoplites an overarm thrust.

Edit: Typo.

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Avatar - 12-18-2006

Beautiful.. Many thanks! I'll enjoy this one!

They've also used RTW music I hear... Intriguing...

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Magnus - 12-18-2006

Yeah, that made me chuckle...but it's a great idea to use them for the documentary. They should do that more often.

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Idomeneas - 12-28-2006

well i personally find the whole documentary very cheap. The graphic design is disappointing (davinci font on the map???) and the fact that they used the RTW game as base while in vanila form is tottaly inacurate doesnt add to the quality. The models and animations used are the ones that the whole RTW modding community rejected and started over. I can show you some real hoplite models from Hegemonia City States mod that if not perfect due to limitations are by far closer to the real thing

few samples

[Image: 665292argoshoplite7aa.jpg][/align]

[Image: 665271fm6kn.jpg][/align]

[Image: 665266epidauros1ib.jpg][/align]

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Arthes - 12-28-2006

Khaire,
very nice indeed.... Big Grin
I rather like the second one.....
regards
Arthes..

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Anonymous - 12-28-2006

The War Games company gets a mention in the credits. They're good, but I noticed that the aspides of the non-Spartans were too small.

I was also disappointed that, despite an earlier reference to 7.000 troops, the commentator later talked of 10,000 Immortals against 300 Spartans.

The graphics have the phalanx quickly breaking up and the two forces interpenetrating. Had this happened, the battle would have been over on the first day, it gives a totally false impression and utterly fails to show how the phalanx formation was the key to the Greeks' success. In this, it doesn't bear out what Paul Cartledge says on the tape.

Mr. Pressfield also described the aspides as being covered in bronze, which is certainly correct for some, but then said they would have a core of 2" OAK! Andy Jarvis has an oaken shield, which is very heavy, despite being comparatively small and only about 0.5" thick. Finds suggest a thickness at the centre of 0.5CM. To wield a 2" thick oaken aspis, 36" in diameter, you'd need to be a world-class Powerlifter. It's sad to see this sort of misinformation being spread by such a respected author.

The commentary descibed the spear action as overarm. Again, it's the graphics that are at fault, in showing underarm thrusts and the loose formation this requires. We really must set aside time at the next Festival to do some fighting with our soft-headed spears. "Come hither, and I will show thee a thing..."

As to the Time Commanders series, the horses in that were poor, having excessively long necks which made them look like dinosaurs. The cavalry invariably stood still after charging, instead of disengaging for a renewed attack.The horses in these clips were better.

Thanks for posting the clips, Cristi, they were fun to watch but I think a lot of people will have a lot of silly ideas about the battle and Hoplite warfare in general, as a result of watching the programme.

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Comerus Gallus - 12-29-2006

Very nice Idomenes, poli wraio!!! :wink:

Re: Thermopylae - History Channel Documentary - Idomeneas - 12-29-2006

Quote:Very nice Idomenes, poli wraio!!! :wink:

i have tones of these :lol: i hope we will be able to release some day. Every major city from Corsica to asia minor and thrace to carthage is there with unique units for each. If we could do it while searching HOW to do it a game company could do alot more dont you think? :wink: