Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman tunic (Clavi)
Robert,

This type of tunic is not documented earlier than seventh century AD. They are made in five pieces, with triangular gores and sleeves added to the main tunic 'body'.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Many thanks...
Estimado Aitor: Thank you! :oops: Smile

I cannot thank you enough for your kind & knowledgeable help during the past two years. You have helped me more & in more ways than we may realize. Pax tecvm. +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:This type of tunic is not documented earlier than seventh century AD. They are made in five pieces, with triangular gores and sleeves added to the main tunic 'body'.

I know, but since most linen or wool around here comes not in larger sizes than 1.50 metres, it's something you often see in modern recreations.... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert wrote:

Quote:OK, so the sleeves themselves need not be so tight-fitting, as long as the cuff are tight? At least that's what I conclude from the design below.

Yes Robert, On some tunics the sleeves do narrow towards the cuffs.

Aitor wrote:

Quote:Notwithstanding I cheated a little too. I had the sleeves made longer than on the original pattern, the Reepsholt tunic.

I think you have every right to cheat a little, It would be very difficult to copy exactly the dimensions of an original garment and then expect a modern person to fit it perfectly. You have to compromise now and then. I bet not every late Roman re-enactor has gilded or silvered belts and helmets encrusted with real gems!

Good picture of the modern priests garment which shows the narrow cuffs. The design is based on the very late Roman tunic shape called the Dalmatic.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote: I bet not every late Roman re-enactor has silvered belts.
[size=42:3fbzmb83]I do.... :? [/size]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks to you, William! Big Grin
Without yur help I wasn't able to imagine what kind of tunic was Graham talking about.

Robert,

'Silvered' or just 'tinned' Tongue

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
BTW, Robert,
You can always construct an earlier late Roman tunic out of three pieces (Late Romans did it! :wink: ). Use the biggest one to form the upper part of the tunic, sleeves included, and , the other two, rectangular ones, to from the 'skirts', one at the front, and, the other att he rear. Seams will occur at waist level and, therefore, will be completely obscured by the belt 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Robert wrote:

Quote:I do....

You mean you can afford the real deal for your belts and helmets etc...In that case why are we quibbling over a bit of cuff, surely you can get one of your servants to knock up a new tunic by the morning! Big Grin

Oh and how many artworks did you say you wanted me to supply your villas west wing with!

G.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
We're not quibbling over the price of a cufff, but how my servants must make it.. :twisted:
Ah? You also do mosaics? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:We're not quibbling over the price of a cufff, but how my servants must make it..
Ah? You also do mosaics?

Give him a slap on the wrist that will do! Sorry, no more off the cuff remarks like that and no Fresco is my thing! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman tunic try leonardo 4 1,383 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Question regarding the Wear of Late Roman Tunic chukissaki 3 1,860 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New late 3rd early 4th Century tunic Cheyenne 7 2,832 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Cheyenne