Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman tunic (Clavi)
I'm due to make a late Roman tunic for next season, and was wondering if this commercially available trim would be a suitable, or an acceptable substitute for woven-in clavi?

If not, then plain coloured fabric clavi it will have to be!

[Image: Blackwork.jpg]
Adrian,

At first sight, it looks acceptable, though it has perhaps a 'too late/post-muslim conquest' look... :?
If you decide to use it, I suggest to cut the trim this way:
[Image: Blackwork.jpg]
So, a nice 'teardrop' will form (again a late feature), though you could just end the clavus in a point. never straigth!

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Thanks Aitor!

I tried my hardest to find a trim that was somewhere close to the V&A Museum examples, but this was the nearest I could find!
Here is the shop I order clavi:

http://www.saris-borten.de

he has clavi for indian saris, but I also often cut pieces out etc.
And they have it made from silk and gold, too, for to show of high-class Romans. :wink:
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Quote:I'm due to make a late Roman tunic for next season, and was wondering if this commercially available trim would be a suitable, or an acceptable substitute for woven-in clavi?

If not, then plain coloured fabric clavi it will have to be!

No Adrian. In my opinion Aitor's example of copying original designs on to his tunic is a much much better way than using unauthentic examples. Even close up it is pretty difficult to tell that his designs are not woven into his tunic and now they are beginning to fade they look even better.

There are a number of books or even websites which show authentic designs.

Perhaps Aitor should give us all a tutorial on how he did it.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:There are a number of books or even websites which show authentic designs.

Hi Graham,

Could you tell us a few (websites)? I'm still looking for good clavi designs.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Graham, its very kind of you! :oops:
Notwithstanding, my system is very limited, as it only works on cotton, maybe linen but never on wool! Sad
When my group people decided to make their woollen tunics, they had to resort to commercial trims. No need to say that you cannot find anything near enough to real clavi (and, of course, that does not solve the problem of getting the orbiculi! Sad wink:

About clavi designs. You must take into account that those highly figured ones that we have in mind are commonly no earlier than 6th century, earlier (4th, 5th) ones being mainly geommetric, white on purple background.

Aitor

PS Graham, I received 'Clothing Culture' and it is a very good book. I commend it to anybody interested on Late clothing (Too much post-Muslim Conquest stuff but that is unavoidable :roll: )
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Aitor's example of copying original designs on to his tunic is a much much better way than using unauthentic examples.

If only I had the time! It will be under armour, so the only visible sections will be the cuffs and bottom edges. I may have to compromise! :?
Quote:
Quote:Aitor's example of copying original designs on to his tunic is a much much better way than using unauthentic examples.
If only I had the time! It will be under armour, so the only visible sections will be the cuffs and bottom edges.

You never walk about in civvies?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Nah! I like to be in armour!

only after an event do I change into civvies!
Too bad! As a Late Roman, that's the time to show off you tunic. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Robert

Quote:Hi Graham,

Could you tell us a few (websites)? I'm still looking for good clavi designs.

I just did a Google search for Coptic Textiles. That produced a few sites and Museums which have collections which could be contacted for further information. However I would reccomend getting either J.Trilling's book 'The Roman Heritage' or D. Carrol's 'Looms and Textiles of the Copts'. Also keep an eye out for Coptic Textile exhibitions or their catalogues or contact local Museums who have collections of Coptic textiles often in storage. There is an Aladdin's cave of Coptic Textiles in Antwerp in a Private collection but it is possible to make appointments to see the collection.

I found this after a quick search which might help.

Quote:On June 23 the tunic gallery of ancient textiles from Katoen Natie in
Antwerp (Belgium) will open. About 20 tunics from Egypt, mostly from the
late Roman and early Islamic periods will be shown.

There are also several caps, shoes, sandals, a pair of Roman socks, hair
combs, jewellery , a Fayum portrait and Greco-Roman sculpture.

In this gallery no less than 30 pieces have been radiocarbon dated.

The gallery will be open from Monday to Friday but only by appointment with
Caroline Dekyndt (tel +3232216904)

Four more galleries are planned.

Address: Katoen Natie, Van Aerdstraat 33 , 2060 Antwerp, Belgium.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks Graham!

Antwerp is not exactly the next town, but close enough to organise a trip!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Get your spy camera sharp, Robert! 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Well, we could ask nicely... 8)

My camera's better, unless Robert gets himself a new one... :roll:

Should be doable, hey how about it Robert?

And then...off to get embroiderer's cramp (me presumably) or the printshop (probably Robert's preferred solution). :wink:
Andreas Baede

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman tunic try leonardo 4 1,383 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Question regarding the Wear of Late Roman Tunic chukissaki 3 1,860 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New late 3rd early 4th Century tunic Cheyenne 7 2,832 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Cheyenne