Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for "late" experts
Quote:Confusedhock: Robert "Your search found 0 results out of 0 documents"?
I meant my books..... :oops:
Wher can I find that Google thingy! Big Grin D
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I've not understood Fauentane: you mean you did your buckles by lost-wax in foundry for 10 euros?
Yes. (Not the buckles, just the thin stripes. But once, Avitianus made a wax buckle and cost just few € at the same foundry.)
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Well, what I'd want simply to do, as you surely guess, is so:

1) modelling buckle and rosette patterns in clay (positive)

2) inserting cores for defining volumes that the material will not flow into (holes)

3) letting the clay dry and refine the model and the smaller details

4) brushing the patterns by linseed oil

5) giving the patterns to the foundy to stamp out the mold cavity and getting the casting templates

6) Getting the pieces and dividing them

7) chiselling and filing the finest details

I want to do a single strip of clay with all the patterns for a single casting, then I'll divide the various pieces.

Here in Roma the foundry asked me 70 €/piece for this simple process, while they asked me 300 €/piece for the lost-wax method for a single element. So...

I think that the cheap way could be satisfating at the same if I'll reach to get fine details. Anyone experienced that for a higly decorated buckle?
If that casting will produce good pieces, I'll use it for my next medusa pectoral too (my present one is just embossed brass made by me with very few tools :oops: ) to be applied on my squamata.

Aitor wrote:
Quote:What do you mean exactly with 'fine open fretwork by mini-files'?

For open fretwork I mean this:
[Image: metalwork07.jpg]

By mini-files then I'll have to remove any burr

At www.udel.edu/ArtHistory/nees/209/images.html have info and pics about a similar to "mine" (except for the rounded shape) buckle, a small pic below:

[url:3odldp0h]http://images.google.it/images?q=tbn:CxojZtm3kXxjtM:http://www.udel.edu/ArtHistory/nees/209/images/11-01.jpg[/url]

but they ask for the password... Sad

Robert wrote:

Quote:Wher can I find that Google thingy!

Is perhaps that ! a ?

Fauentanus wrote:

Quote:Yes. (Not the buckles, just the thin stripes. But once, Avitianus made a wax buckle and cost just few € at the same foundry.)

Good prices in Hispania, as you see above, in Roma they are expensive (but it's an artistic foundry...)!!

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Daniele,

The method you suggest is complicated but it can work.
Notwithstanding, open fret-work was NEVER used on chip-carved elements! As its name tells the decoration was probably chiselled out of the copper-alloy solid plate! Confusedhock:
The result is very alike to wood-carving.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor wrote,
Quote:As its name tells the decoration was probably chiselled out of the copper-alloy solid plate!

Oh yes, casting and fretwork is an unaccurate way to get that buckle but I think I'm not able to chisel, or better, never tried so far...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Siren Call of Late Antiquity –Beginner\'s Questions Lupianus 8 2,322 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs