Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for "late" experts
I need of help about this buckle I like a lot and I've found in a deep folder of my PC, it looks like of the first half of the IV century and totally roman, not german, because of the roman style chip carvings and animals, but...,

1) is it really so roman and not germanic workmanship?
2) who can tell me where it comes from?
3) who knows the exact dimensions?
4) lacking of the other parts, could I, in your opinion, add that B/W element from another/same style belt buckle, after adapting it properly to the decorative elements of the main buckle?
5) can I alternate to the round elements, some propeller elements (if I recall, there are some findings about that...)?

[Image: BUCKLE_1.jpg]

Thanks in advance and ualete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Daniele,
At first glance and without thinking for too long about it or resorting to books:

1) Totally Roman workmanship (Stretching it too far, may some Germanic 'taste' added) Chip-carved last quarter of IVth/early Vth century AD.
2) No idea.
3) Idem
4)Yes, sure! Big Grin
5)I wouldn't do such. IMHO, the propellers' style and the chip-carved one does not tend to mix... Rectangular buckles or dolphin/boar ones fit usually better propellers which, incidentally correspond to a somewhat earlier style (Though propellers appear seldomly and in a more elongated way on later belts too)

Hope that this helps! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
[Image: BUCKLE_2.jpg]

So it's better to imagine...

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Thanks, Aitor! Big Grin

Optime uale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

My pleasure, Daniele! Big Grin
I guess that Robert probalbly will tell us later where does that beautiful set come from!

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:1) is it really so roman and not germanic workmanship?
2) who can tell me where it comes from?
3) who knows the exact dimensions?
4) lacking of the other parts, could I, in your opinion, add that B/W element from another/same style belt buckle, after adapting it properly to the decorative elements of the main buckle?
5) can I alternate to the round elements, some propeller elements (if I recall, there are some findings about that...)?
1) I agree with Aitor, could be both. However the style is (not always but) very often associated with military burials and therefore often associated with the Roman army.
2) Not yet
3) Not yet.
4) Yes you could
5) Show me the propellor stiffener please?

[Image: BUCKLE_1.jpg]
[Image: BUCKLE_2.jpg]
Quote:So it's better to imagine...
Ah, but nr. 2 is not the same as nr. 1... these sets do not need to be a perfect mirror of each other.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ah, but nr. 2 is not the same as nr. 1... these sets do not need to be a perfect mirror of each other.

Yes, but being the nr. 1 a collage I made between two different buckles, I've then photoshopped and mirrored, getting the nr. 2, to avoid to venture out to sea of imaginative speculations. Anyway I could speculate and invent the lacking piece basing it on the main buckle... But I'd prefer to avoid that.

The same thing about the stiffeners: lacking them, we have just that roundel of the same set. And if you agree to the Aitor suggestion "no roundel/propellers mix", what's the best way to recreate that belt I love from just those two elements? And don't tell me to do another belt where we know any elements, or all the late reenactors will seem to serve themselves at the same belts shop... Big Grin

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Daniele,

Sorry for the delay but I'm deeply involved in the Intercisa IV 'project' :oops:

As far as I am aware, those chip-carved belts are rather 'naked' adn they only have the front plate and counterplate, plus the strap-end, a fitting for holding the strap and some rossttes with suspension rings. I wouldn't call that round fitting a stiffener. the bel probably only had one of them. :?

If you want a 'full-of-stiffeners' belt, better go for a propeller one! :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Don't worry, Aitor, that project is surely more important! Big Grin
You guys are doing a great job for all us, rain of laudes! I just hope that the Deepeeka guys wiil be grateful to you... :wink:

About the belt, I thank you and Robert for the suggestions. I'm not so close to a propellers type belt, I can make other variants too. I like very much that buckle and I hope to make the cast in a decent way (it's cast bronze, not embossed, no?). Then do we talk about a correct gilding?

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Thanks Daniele! :oops:

Yes, you're right. exactly, lost-wax cast copper-alloy (I wouldn't dare to say 'bronze' :wink: )

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Lost-wax cast!? Ouch! Expensive! Do you think I coud get a good result at the same with a simple cast and then a fine open fretwork by mini-files?

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

I've not found this buckle in my vast (ahem) resources, but it seems this one comes from a museum in Munich, Germany.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Lost-wax cast!? Ouch! Expensive! Do you think I coud get a good result at the same with a simple cast and then a fine open fretwork by mini-files?

Vale,
I did mine this way and just cost 10€ 6 pieces. I went to a foundry. I'm talking about the Dorchester type narrow stripes.

[Image: cingulum.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Daniele,
What do you mean exactly with 'fine open fretwork by mini-files'? :?
If the fretwork is open, then it won't resemble chip-carving at all...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Confusedhock: Robert "Your search found 0 results out of 0 documents"?

Try again with this:

[Image: Roman-Google.jpg]

Big Grin

Today I've problems with my english, sorry I've not understood Fauentane: you mean you did your buckles by lost-wax in foundry for 10 euros? Or you went to the foudry for a "normal" cast and then made a fretwork for the hole?

Aitor, let me find the right english terms to explain... Smile

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Siren Call of Late Antiquity –Beginner\'s Questions Lupianus 8 2,322 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs