Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ?
Quote: Again, playing it safe, auxiliary troops are generally thought to have been equipped with lorica hamata, plainish helmets (generally brass), oval shields, two or more lancea (throwing spears), and gladius. Plus the "usual" tunic, cloak, and caligae or other footwear. (Graham's Osprey books are terrific for this!) Of course, there is a lot of debate and gray area about this, so there are other possibilities! I agree that the troops at the Crucifixion might not have been armored, though it's possible that the arrest squad was. Helmets and/or shields but no body armor, maybe?

Clear! If we have common sense, we would be speaking about a few auxiliary troops; their mission was capture one person, Jesus Christ. It can be that they were coming armed, in agreement, but they would come com a police troop, we know that the Roman legionaries had the policemen's function inside cities.

The troop of crucifixion, they were going to fix in the cross a reprobate. The idea of taking the whole equipment I believe that is not logical; as you say, caligae, tunic, cingulum, but the general idea, I suppose, it is the simplicity of the equipment, they were not going to a war, were going to fix in the cross a person, or you change, clearly.
They are ideas of historical context.
Carme
[url:utwukq64]http://www.primagermanica.com[/url]
[Image: vexilium.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Roman Judaea - by Graham Sumner - 10-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Re: Roman Judaea - by GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Judaea - by Narukami - 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
ARTICLES - by Graham Sumner - 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - by GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jewish costume at the time of Christ Arthes 26 8,138 03-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Spurius