RomanArmyTalk
What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? (/showthread.php?tid=7183)

Pages: 1 2

What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-22-2006

I don't know that this topic exist, but now I need information about the legionaries who captured and gave death Jesucrist.
I think here exists one auxiliary unit..., I don't know exactly...
But anybody know more?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-22-2006

[Image: passion-of-the-christ-3.jpg]
The passion of the Christ movie.

Does something look like the reality? What type of legionary was?

Roman Judaea - Graham Sumner - 10-22-2006

Hello Carme

I will send you my article on Pontius Pilate's bodyguard.

Graham.

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - Carlton Bach - 10-22-2006

The 'Passion' play has some serious equipment issues. Very fashionably small cheekpieces and the leather segs are *just* right for playing with whips.

On a more serious note: it is possible, but unlikely that the soldiers who captured Jesus were legionaries. There was no legion under Pilate's command, and while he may have hads legionary detachments serving, even at this early stage this sounds more like a job for auxiliaries or local law enforcement. The execution may have been the job of legionaries attached to his officium, but at this early period our evidence for that development is still quite sketchy. It might just as well have been auxiliaries, especially as many of his troops came from the east and could be trusted with operating inside the local legal system.

What would they have looked like? Most likely not wearing those trousers. The typical 'early' wide and baggy tunic and probably a military belt and sagum or paenula. Colours are guesswork, though we have some evidence for white. More likely solid colour than stripes or checkers, I guess, and possibly with clavi on the tunics and maybe gammata on the sagum (but not the paenula).

They may have worn armour, but there is evidence that this was not normally done on non-military dutry, so that part is a toss-up. If the commander on the ground read the situation as dicey and wanted a show of strength, they'd be wearing mail, scale or segmented armour and helmets. If this was a standard law enforcement operation, just sword and dagger. Definitely hobnailed shoes, probably the 'classic' caligae.

The degree to which especially auxiliaries would be wearing 'native' styles on duty is unclear. You might well see rather Hellenistic-looking troopers, especially from Hasmonaean legacy units.

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - L C Cinna - 10-22-2006

hmmm it's hard to say which troops were in Jerusalem at that time. I just took a quick look at Flavius Josephus and at some other books but couldn't find any.

There are 4 legions stationed in Syria during that time (III Gallica, VI Ferrata, X Fretensis and XII Fulminata) but none in Judaea. Only detachments. Josephus mentions one incident where a cohort is in Jerusalem during a festival but i couldn't find any other units mentioned and he only says Roman cohort which could be anything he doesn't make a difference between legionaries and auxiliares in his book.

The legionaries were often used to assist the governor and such things. Imho executions and such things were probably carried out by the town garrison which was most probably local or roman auxiliary troops. My bet would be Judaean troops or Syrians but this is only a guess of course.

maybe someone else can shed more light into this?

ps> oh sorry we must have been posting at the same time.

Re: Roman Judaea - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-22-2006

Quote:Hello Carme

Graham.

thanks Graham, I think this question is difficult to answer, but i think that who was in Jerusalem were the Pontius Pilate's bodyguard or some auxiliary unit...with caligae, tunic, gladius or pugio,very simple.. I don't know is not clearly...!

Re: Roman Judaea - Narukami - 10-22-2006

Quote:Hello Carme

Graham.

Graham,

Sounds interesting.

Where can I find a copy of your article? Is it posted on-line somewhere? Or, if it is not too much trouble, could you send me a copy also?

Thanks! Smile

Narukami

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 10-22-2006

I would like a copy as well, if I may.

Thank you!

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - FAVENTIANVS - 10-22-2006

Quote:[Image: passion-of-the-christ-3.jpg]
The passion of the Christ movie.

Does something look like the reality? What type of legionary was?
They look like Ars Dimicandi... :wink:

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - Martin Wallgren - 10-23-2006

I´m also very interessted in the article on PP´s bodyguard! Is it possible to get a glimps at it someway?

Martin

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - Restitvtvs - 10-23-2006

I would also like to see the article on Pilate's bodyguard if possible. Thanks! +r

ARTICLES - Graham Sumner - 10-23-2006

I will need PM's with your email address then folks!

Graham.

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - Luca - 10-23-2006

They look as the "normal" roman soldier by Cinecittà.....
Before to discuss their equipment in details, first question: why to do that work they need to fit an armour and an helmet? More probably they were wearing just the tunica with the baltues, but, we know, cinema loves to make everything more dramatic....

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - hephestus - 10-23-2006

Quote:They look like Ars Dimicandi... :wink:

Spero che tu faccia dell'umorismo simpatico, altrimenti è completamente inutile continuare a parlare.

Iulia o Luca per favore traducete. Grazie

Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - FAVENTIANVS - 10-23-2006

Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:11q5w06q Wrote:They look like Ars Dimicandi... :wink:

Spero che tu faccia dell'umorismo simpatico, altrimenti è completamente inutile continuare a parlare.

Iulia o Luca per favore traducete. Grazie
Tal faràs, tal trobaràs... :wink: