Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary camps in Northumberland
A high proportion of the temporary camps in Northumberland survive as upstanding earthworks (many of them in the vicinity of Hadrian's Wall). As such most are clearly visible on the Getmapping aerial coverage of the county. This brief catalogue uses Welfare and Swan's Roman Camps in England, together with the wonders of the MAGIC database, to show what could be done towards an online visual catalogue of temporary camps. The camps of Wales have recently been published and those of Scotland are rumoured to be in the pipeline.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Amazing Confusedhock:

Is there anything similar available for the limes in Germania superior?
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote:Is there anything similar available for the limes in Germania superior?

Not that I'm aware of. In fact, I remember a time in the early 1980s when people said there were no camps in Germany, full stop. Then, one by one, they started to appear, largely as a result of aerial survey. The difference between the UK and Germany (and much of the rest of the empire) is the coincidence between our uncultivated uplands (mostly trashed during the Bronze Age by over-farming) and Roman campaigning areas which enabled these to survive. It also puts the lie to the commonplace that the Romans levelled their camps after use. If they did, why do they survive? Truth is they slighted them but did not flatten them.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Is there anything similar available for the limes in Germania superior?
We have one in Germania Inferior... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Not that I'm aware of. In fact, I remember a time in the early 1980s when people said there were no camps in Germany, full stop. Then, one by one, they started to appear, largely as a result of aerial survey.

Ah yes, when dogma meets reality! :lol:
Florian Himmler (not related!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late-roman marching/temporary Camp at Gellep Simplex 1 124 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Marching/Temporary Camps Nerva 83 15,193 10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Seven temporary Roman Camps found at Trebur-Geinsheim/German Simplex 24 5,686 06-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar