Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven temporary Roman Camps found at Trebur-Geinsheim/German
Source :
[url:2lb50c2y]http://www.echo-online.de/suedhessen/template_detail.php3?id=507624[/url]
The community of Trebur/Germany, some where in-between the cities of Mainz (some 25 miles off, Frankfurt (some 30 miles off) and Darmstadt
(some 30 miles off) seems to be real "fertile ground" for german archaeologists.
After finding and excavating a late-roman Burgus near Trebur-Astheim where the Schwarzbach meets the Rhine in 2001, a team of archaeologists now hit seven roman temporary/marching camps up to 24 ha large at Trebur-Geinsheim.
The coinage findings suggest that the camps may have been "in use" betweeen 20-30 A.D. and 70-110 A.D.. No stone buildings have been found so far.
Some 60 "structures" already found show "dug-outs", trenches, "post-holes", "ovens" and other traces that indicate the use of wooden buildings and tents. So far about 1500 "small-parts" have been collected "on site".
The camps are about a 1 day's march away from Mogontiacum, the largest of them even may have hosted a complete legion with auxiliaries.
(No April's folly this time, folks. :wink: )
Earlier findings of roman pottery pieces and "small" coins from the 80's on had already been made in this area.

Greez & Goodnight

Siggi K.
Siggi K.
There is no reason to be suspicious about identification the largest one as legionary camp. There are numerous camps which size is 24 Ha. Potaissa, Lochica, Albing, Aquincum etc. Great news.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Out of personal curiosity, how would legionary winter camp (late Republic/early Principate) be constructed ?

I mean camp that is not a march camp nor permanent base, but camp where legion would be expected to stay quite a while during the campaing.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Hi Stefan,
....I simply used "may" because the report did not give me clues about which legion/or which parts (vexillationes) of which legions and how many and which auxiliaries were involved -- and when. (Maybe somebody here has more information acquired on this in the meantime ?) With over 1500 of small parts found already I think we'll have good chances of follow-ups published that will clarify this. (I'll stay tuned :wink: )
Hi Mika,
...I think I'll join your question.
That'd be of interest to me, too.
Greez

Siggi K.
Siggi K.
Quote:Die rund 60 Strukturen, also Zeugnisse von Gruben, Pfostenlöchern und Gräben, die die Studenten fanden, lassen aber den Schluss zu, dass auf dem gesamten Gelände rund 15 00 solcher Zeugnisse zu finden sind.
Doesn't sound very "temporary"! Smile Could be Mika's hiberna, though.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Quote:Die rund 60 Strukturen, also Zeugnisse von Gruben, Pfostenlöchern und Gräben, die die Studenten fanden, lassen aber den Schluss zu, dass auf dem gesamten Gelände rund 15 00 solcher Zeugnisse zu finden sind.
Doesn't sound very "temporary"! Smile Could be Mika's hiberna, though.

My thought exactly. It could well be campaign winter camp. Such camp could be populated for several years without becoming permanent.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

Vass iss das? Nein Sprechen ze doitchse Can't spell it worth a d^&n either.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Vass iss das? Nein Sprechen ze doitchse Can't spell it worth a d^&n either.

I don't speak German either..but I think translation was this:

Some 60 "structures" already found show "dug-outs", trenches, "post-holes", "ovens" and other traces that indicate the use of wooden buildings and tents. So far about 1500 "small-parts" have been collected "on site". 8)
(Mika S.)

:oops: :lol: yes ok
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Maybe part of Germanicus campaign after the Varus disaster?
Lots of goodies to add to the re-enactors kit catelog! :lol: 8) Hopefully!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Maybe part of Germanicus campaign after the Varus disaster?
Lots of goodies to add to the re-enactors kit catelog! :lol: 8) Hopefully!

My thoughts too. Findings would most likely add some to what we know about that campaign. And with luck, also about equipment and camp construction etc.
(Mika S.)

Rather interesting reconstruction of barack-tents from Roedgen was published in J.M. Morel's article, Tents or barracks, Limes XV, 383. The pic speeks for itself
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
That is an interesting idea....longer term camp but not yet a permanent fortification....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
More on Trebur-Geinsheim and the area around:

A website on the temporary roman camp in Nauheim-Herrenwiese (size 15-20 ha) near the banks of the Schwarzbach (which is thought to have been navigable in those times) in 2003 with updates on the recent excavations in Trebur Geinsheim, -- which is not too far away:
[url:jle0f2wp]http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:BattjYdWv9UJ:home.arcor.de/margret.kloberdanz/roemer/roemer_nauheim.htm+Trebur-Geinsheim+r%C3%B6misch&hl=de&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=de[/url]
This little treatise does refer to :
[url:jle0f2wp]http://mitglied.lycos.de/GemeindeNauheim/roemer/roemer3.htm[/url]
For an essay a little more extensive use the link down there on the left.

More on the topology of this area:
[url:jle0f2wp]http://deposit.ddb.de/cgi-bin/dokserv?idn=982436734&dok_var=d1&dok_ext=pdf&filename=982436734.pdf[/url]

As always, sadly only in German.

More to come ??

I hope so.

Greez & Goodnight

Siggi K.
Siggi K.
...I just ran into news about Trebur-Geinsheim.
So, as promised:
[urlConfusedcluul9w]http://www.gerold-reichenbach.de/fileadmin/Gerold_Storage/History-Tour-Aufnahmen/Handout_Manuskript_Geinsheim-1.pdf[/url]
In German, but with "a nice picture or two" .
Chief-Archeologist Thomas Maurer (University Frankfurt/Main)
announced further excavations at the nearby site of Groß-Gerau-Wallerstädten, where there was to be additional work on an early imperial camp as an educational excavation from August 18th and running over two weeks at least , depending of the findings situation. (2008)

Greez

Siggi
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late-roman marching/temporary Camp at Gellep Simplex 1 121 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,208 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
  Many new milatry camps found in Spain. kavan 1 485 12-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell