Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English language question
Quote:It has been my experience that Europeans do not consider turnips human food, mainly left for livestock.
Mashed carrot and turnip with a roast dinner, yum yum.

Quote:But then again there are things eaten here, and in the South that most other Americans wouldnt even consider such as raccoons, possums, groundhogs, squirrels etc etc
Barbaric! And that's coming from someone who believes it doesn't taste good unless it had a face! How can you possibly eat vermin - I hope they're dipped in chocolate first?!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Being from Germany and living in California now (northern California, fresh produce mecca), and also the hobby cook in the household, I have to interfere here in defense of my homeland
No offense, but I have the suspicion that you guys don't know how to prepare white asparagus, which is a shame, because it's truly one of the world's greatest vegetables. Here a bit of trivia: The main difference between white and green asparagus is that white asparagus is grown completely covered with earth so that it doesn't take on any color (= chlorophyll) which then deludes the "true" white asparagus flavor. This is also why it's usually much more expensive (has to be harvested by hand, a very strenuous job), and hence it gets a thicker "skin" and needs to be peeled before cooking.
I like both kinds, but flavor-wise there is simply no comparison. Green asparagus (or the even more rare purple kind) is much milder in "asparagus" flavor, needs to be cooked only a few minutes and doesn't need to be peeled. It's great quickly steamed and dressed with a vinaigrette, roasted, grilled etc. Thanks to green asparagus' fast cooking time, it's more versatile.
To really enjoy white asparagus, on the other hand, there are a few simple rules:
a) freshness: In the U.S., I have never seen white asparagus worth buying. The stuff that comes to the markets here (and again, I live in California wine country, where much more produce is available than in the rest of the country) usually comes from Peru and is way too old.
b) Once one gets his/her greedy hands on some yummy, tender, white asparagus (preferable from Bavaria or Rhineland Palatinate in Germany or the Loire in France), peel it. It's kind of tedious, but after doing it a few times, you get better at it.
c) Now, as to preparation, here is the main difference: It can't be cooked to be slightly crunchy like green asparagus, but has to be cooked much longer (about 20 minutes). Only when it's totally soft will you experience its true magic. To enhance the asparagus flavor even more, cook in boiling water with some salt, sugar, butter (melted in the water) and lemon juice.
After that, you can eat it warm (extremely yummy with a home-made hollandaise sauce, also in combination with ham or even mushrooms/especially chanterelles, or in soups, even in combination with some seafood/shrimps) or cold (dress with a simple vinaigrette made either from chopped shallots, wine vinegar, olive oil and a dollop of dijon mustard, also good with a dill-based vinaigrette).
As to wine, there is only one wine in the world that really goes with asparagus (whether white or green), and that is the Silvaner varietal (grown in Germany's Franconia Region, also in Rhineland-Palatinate and parts of Alsace). Sorry for the lecture, but I love to eat and cook!

Two more tips about white asparagus: To tell whether it's fresh or not, simply look at the cut ends. If it's brown/woody, it's not fresh.
To keep asparagus in the fridge fresh longer, wrap in a moist towel.
I sign that. You can buy the fresh green asparagus here as well, and I´ve been eating it in the US too, but it doesn´t compare even slightly to fresh white asparagus. It´s like the difference between cep and truffle. Both are good, but... you get the point.

Quote:But then again there are things eaten here, and in the South that most other Americans wouldnt even consider such as raccoons, possums, groundhogs, squirrels etc etc
Yes, yes, and ocra....
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:I sign that. You can buy the fresh green asparagus here as well, and I´ve been eating it in the US too, but it doesn´t compare even slightly to fresh white asparagus. It´s like the difference between cep and truffle. Both are good, but... you get the point.

D'Schwauba wisset halt, was guad isch ;-) )
(Bin ursprünglich aus Krumbach).

Now, don't diss ocra, though. A real gumbo is just not complete without the slimy vegetable and can be sooo yummy!
Aka
Christoph
So we start with a question about the English language and in the end, we are exchanging recipes. Isn't the international world wide web community a lovely place?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I WAS aware of the manner in which white asparagus was grown, but I do have to plead ignorance in regards to the best manner of its preparation. I don't believe I've actually had any before and certainly wasn't aware of the difference in preparation or of the difference in flavor. My mother (who was always quite a cook and gourmand) had told me back in America that it was done mainly for apperance and did little for the taste, and just cost a lot more. I guess I trusted her on that.

I feel shamed that, as something of a foodie, I have not given white asparagus just consideration. I will attempt to rectify this when asparagus is again in season over here. Big Grin
-Christy Beall
Quote:D'Schwauba wisset halt, was guad isch
(Bin ursprünglich aus Krumbach).

Dei´schd halt des, gell! Big Grin

As for the Ocra: It basically tastes like cardboard, at leats if fried. In soups and such it can add some flavour, that´s right.

Christie: If you really want to have the white asparagus sensation, you have to go to southern Germany in late spring. Best comes from Schrobenhausen.
www.spargel.de/
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:I feel shamed that, as something of a foodie, I have not given white asparagus just consideration. I will attempt to rectify this when asparagus is again in season over here

Ego te absolvo :wink: (as long as you give it a try). You shall be assimilated, too, hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa.
And yes, your mother was wrong. Completely different flavor. But then, as I said, the only white asparagus you get here state-side is always old, from Peru, and has no flavor whatsoever, so Americans simply don't know/can't get the real thing. One more reason I try to time trips back to my folks in Tchoymeny around asparagus season :lol:

Please do try it, you'll love it. And I second the Schrobenhausen/Bavaria hint. Also very good anywhere from the "Pfalz" (Rhineland Palatinate) around Speyer. During asparagus season, you can often find it at roadside stands. It's also commonly classified in Germany according to quality(I think there are 3 or 4 "classes"). Gotta go, I'm getting hungry now...
And sorry for the thread hijack, but I guess only white asparagus can explain the "asparagus peeler" bit, so we're back on topic. :wink:
Aka
Christoph
Quote:So we start with a question about the English language and in the end, we are exchanging recipes. Isn't the international world wide web community a lovely place?

Food is really what can bring any two people in the world together. Bush and Kim need to sit down over a plate of bulgogi and brisquet! :lol:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1pwwpbhd Wrote:So we start with a question about the English language and in the end, we are exchanging recipes. Isn't the international world wide web community a lovely place?

Food is really what can bring any two people in the world together. Bush and Kim need to sit down over a plate of bulgogi and brisquet! :lol:

We would have to get a high chair for Kim!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English language question Jona Lendering 12 2,346 08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Native English speakers: grammar question Martin Moser 38 6,512 05-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  German language question Jona Lendering 7 1,745 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Last Post: agrimensor