Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native English speakers: grammar question
Hi,

someting that came up in an English test of our son and which we are not quite sure of - could I please have your opinion on the tense to be used with the following sentences:

Mr A: "Have you seen the Leinerts?"

a) Mrs A: "No they have left the house in the morning and I think they aren't back yet."

or:

b) Mrs A: "No they left the house in the morning and I think they aren't back yet."

Which one is right, or are maybe both ok?
Thanks for your help!
Not a native speaker, but i would say;

Both can be correct, but I would prefer "they haven't returned yet".

Do you mean your son's teacher makes an issue of this? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi, you could use both, the average Brit would not notice, but 'b' is probably more grammatically correct .
Although, Robert is correct in saying 'they haven't returned yet'- that would be even more suitable.
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:a) Mrs A: "No they have left the house in the morning and I think they aren't back yet."
or:
b) Mrs A: "No they left the house in the morning and I think they aren't back yet."

As a native English speaker i would say (b) would be more the more typical usage however both sentences are awkward.

I'm not going to comment with regards to accuracy as i find much written or spoken English used by native speakers to be grammatically incorrect.

I would have gone with ...

No they left the house this morning, i don't think they are back yet.

... but it's not the way i would choose the phrase a sentence of that meaning.
Quote:Hi,

someting that came up in an English test of our son and which we are not quite sure of - could I please have your opinion on the tense to be used with the following sentences:

a) Mrs A: "No they have left the house in the morning and I think they aren't back yet."

or:

Thanks for your help!

Verbally, you could get away with either as most English people aren't too bothered about such details. However, it all depends on context. Without a context, I would be tempted to change the tense on the first part of the sentence and change the place of the negative on the second part: something along the lines of:

"No, they left the house in the morning and I don't think they are back yet."

But then again I'm living in Yorkshire and we don't really care about grammatical rules in the North !!

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much - but you did ask!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Nathan's got it, as well as Ian, but I might put a semi-colon instead of a comma.

"No, they left the house this morning; I don't think they are back yet."

Or, split the sentence into two.

"No, they left the house this morning. I don't think they are back yet."

"...in the morning..." implies a future event, specifically tomorrow, whereas "...this morning..." means earlier that same day.

A general rule I was taught at school about punctuation - if you speak it out loud and need to take a breath or pause, that's where you'll find a comma, or some such.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The general rule that is taught in schools isd that the Present Perfect doesn't go with time markers, so b) would have to be it.

As to what people will actually say - I don't think it makes a difference. But technically I'd say b), and when tests are administered, a) would have to count as wrong in written English.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
You silly Brits, and your language! :wink:

Martin as a native speaker I will agree, and go with B.

However I believe the proper phrasing should be;

Nope, they left this mornin' 'bout 5, and ain't got back yet! :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
or "Nah mate. They're out". :wink:
Hi

I was wondering who the hell, or what are, the Leinerts? :wink: :wink:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
"No, they left the house in the morning and, I do not think they have returned yet."

This would probably be less awkward for us in the States but I'm not an English major by any means.

But with the correct punctuation each sentence could be considered correct.
AKA: Gary

"Don\'t worry about my life, I can look after it. When I let it go, It will be because I have no further use for it."

-Gaius Julius Caesar, "The Grass Crown"
Quote:or "Nah mate. They're out". :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Yes, go with B.

Quote:but I would prefer "they haven't returned yet".

That's sounds much better. Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:or "Nah mate. They're out". :wink:

Or: Wot's it to you, mate?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks all for your answers. Carlton has the correct answer as far as grammar as taught in schools in Germany is concerned ("Present Perfect doesn't go with time markers" as one hour ago, in the morning etc.). what is annoying though is that the teacher chose such a sentence for the test, especially when the very frist sentence in the book explaining the present perfect says that "present perfect expresses that an action or event that took place in the past is still of relevance in the present. Thus one could reason that obviously the leaving (in the past) is of relevance - since a pre-condition - to their not being back yet. Apart from the sentence being awkward ;-) )

Background is, we are looking for that one point he'd need to get the better grade :-P P

Quote:I was wondering who the hell, or what are, the Leinerts?

I'll gladly sell you the book, so you can find yourself :-) )
Quote:Hi,

or:

Thanks for your help!

I would go with : -

'No, they left the house this morning, but I think they Aren't back yet'

But, it's been a while since I took an English grammer class!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English language question Jona Lendering 12 2,341 08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Aigospotamoi / Native speaker English sought Jona Lendering 2 1,006 04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  English language question Jona Lendering 23 4,232 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs