Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanson 300 Article
Thank heavens! Another voice of reason! Paul, you get a laudes point from me.

IT'S A COMIC BOOK MOVIE!!!

Loosely based on historical events but made into....A COMIC! And then a movie! Guys, come on. It's supposed to be an interpretation of what happened! Paul's right...our strive to become more understanding and accepting of everything PC has scared us into denying who was the bad guys (from a western point of view) in a historical context. It's too bad that we've come to such a sad state. Quite the society of fear we live in when we can't even say who used to be the bad guys...Sorry, what did our veterans fight for again???
Confusedhock:

Legion: TBD
Yes, it is a comic book, and a film based upon the same.

No argument there.

My concern is not Miller or the film (though I do have my doubts about just how the latter will influence those who see it) but rather with Dr. Hanson's interpretation of the battle and its meanings. He is a historian of some repute who would, I think, understand the dangers of generalization. Yet in the article linked at the top of this thread Hanson engages in some gross generalizations that I, for one, do not think the facts support.

This is not a denial of who the enemy was, nor what was at stake. However, to say the battle was one of freemen against slaves over simplifies to the point of being misleading.

Again I refer to Stephen Amborse and his over simplification of World War II as a struggle between the children of democracy against the children of fascism. This is simply poor historical analysis, and I feel Hanson's article falls to the same level.

We might expect and accept such simplification in a comic book, but should we also accept it from a historian, particularly one as accomplished as Hanson?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Agree with you there Narukami. Hanson's article seems ameteurish in the way he generalizes the conflict.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Well, there are all kinds of historians that do such things in every field. We should be happy that "300" will generate a lot of interest in Greek Reenacting, and will likely get an influx of members from it. From there, we can then educate those people using solid references.

Even the ones who don't find RAT...will probably be reading more than one source of information, or maybe even a book :wink: (imagine that...lol).

But seriously, generalizing is just that. If people care enough, they'll find out the story from another angle and evaluate the information themselves and decide what they want to. No loss. If not, no loss either, chances are those who aren't interested enough won't congregate here so it's not our problem anyway...lol.

Legion: TBD
Only some words...
The most stupid thing in all Ноllywood attitude to history - that majority of people would believe in all that stupidity:

"The Spartans fight bare-chested without armor, in the “heroic nudeâ€
Quote:"Platoon" was genious movie. Stone is great director. Film was heavy invested.
He's lost his edge, but Platoon was a great movie. However, if you haven't seen Heaven and Earth, and Born on the Fourth of July, you've only seen a third of the very poignant trilogy, and only seen a third of Stone's view of Vietnam. IMHO, the latter two are far better films than Platoon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107096/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096969/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote: Herodotus nowhere says that the Persians are black.

Actually, he does make a curious observation. He says that among Xerxes army were *two* kinds of Ethiopians. Those with curly hair from the western part of the empire, and those with straight hair from the Eastern part of the empire.

If any of you greek speakers could examine the translation for "Ethiopian" it might be interesting. Why two types from different parts of the world?
Rich Marinaccio
To ancient Greeks "Ethiopians" were the sub-Saharan Africans and dark skinned people in general.

Egypt and Nubia were the westernmost part of the Achemenid empire so here Heroduts implies Nubians and Aethiopians.

"Eastern Ethiopians with straight" is the term that Herodotus uses to describe the dravidic populations of the subject Indian provinces.

Kind regards
Quote:They ran their empire with tolerance for the religious and cultural peculiarities of their subjects; and this idea was adopted by Alexander (over the objections of many Macedonians) and does get into the Western tradition through Alex. I am not saying they invented the modern idea of religious freedom, but maybe they forshadowed it; and the people who did invent the modern idea may have known about this precedent.rather equally.

The Persians did indeed (mostly) adopt a tolerant policy toward their conquered subjects – most likely simply out of enlightened self interest (but I am not completely cynical maybe men like Cyrus were truly ahead of their time – maybe), a means to differentiate their empire from the odious Assyrian one… But I see very little evidence to impart such a policy to Alexander. That ideal is rather an artifact of modern ‘fan-boy’ historians like WW Tarn.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'
Quote:Poor old Herodotos couldn`t impress and inspire filmmakers - while childish comixes could do it.

Whoa dude, I know you are trying to make a point but Frank Miller and other graphic novel authors are most definitely NOT childish or comic books. They are their own genere and should not be put on the level of Archie or even the average monthly fare from DC and Marvel. It would be like saying Grease and Wagner's Ring cycle are both "musicals".
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:Read my original statement:

What contributions has Persia offered to Western civilization..?
But this implies that simply because a culture had a tangible effect on the modern Western world it's somehow unworthy of taking at all seriously. A kind of "temporal patriotism"?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:What contributions has Persia offered to Western civilization..?

Ave Johnny,

they mainly enabled our uncivilized ancestors to ROTFLBTC.

And even today I'm often tempted to do so... :roll: :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Sergey Lenkov\\n[quote]
"The Spartans fight bare-chested without armor, in the “heroic nudeâ€
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Came on Mike!

Is a year ago when we discussed the meaning of MOLON LAVE in this forum.
Perhaps these guys were so busy that they did not had the time to search for the authentic translation :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kind regards
Three words: First word sounds like "Duck". Third word sounds like "Nick". No letter F anywhere :?:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson Goffredo 78 16,260 02-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo