Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized
To take this a step in a different direction, using my samurai example, I have read a bit of literature on some of the "ideological" codes of conduct written during the tokugawa shogunate's reign in Japan after the waring states period (Sengoku Jidai). Most of the themes in there are universal to what we would consider to be a moral, upstanding person. It's just been written down and consolidated in certain manuals and writings. Now, I ponder what is written, and sometimes I think about how I can apply it to my own life, to improve in certain areas and whatnot, but that does not make me a samurai.

I also train in two types of japanese sword arts, Iaido and Kenjutsu. Both are considered koryu, or old school, in that they are not created in the modern era. Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu Iaido and Tenshin Shodin Katori Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu can both trace their creation back to the 1500's in Japan, and have been handed down as martial traditions from soke (headmaster) to soke for many generations, up until the present. I have never encountered any other martial art so heavily steeped in tradition. I have learned much of about japanese culture, as well as samurai tradition.

But I am not a samurai, regardless of what I want to believe, or how I live my life.

It's an important distinction that should be made. So, in your case, you may live as a Roman, but you are not, nor can you ever be Roman. Not to rain on your parade, but it's a simple impossibility that should be acknowledged. To do otherwise can be misleading not only to yourself, but others as well.

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Magnus - 10-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Roman Politics - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Politics - by Chris Weimer - 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
generic links - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 2,057 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus