Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City management in ancient Roman Empire
Quote:Do you fellows never sleep? Smile
Hardly. Not enough anyway. Big Grin
About who "They" were in my previous message.

Quote:But do you have any idea who this Jacobus was (besides a bishop). He then is the "They - as military governors - " I refered to above. And were "they" subordinate to the city Duumviri and Curia decisions (during a siege?)
No, I did not find out who Jacobus was (yet), the name being all too common unfortunately.
Jacobus, if a bishop, would be subordinate to the civic government.
Ursicinus, as a regional military commander, would be above them.

Quote:I didn't explain this before, but I am researching for a novel I am writing about a soldier in the Roman Army and it starts in the year AD 336.
I assumed as much. Good for you. Big Grin

Quote:I want one that people who are serious about history can read - and not toss it over their shoulders once they read the part about Attila attacking the Normans in the battle of Dublin. :lol:
Well, such novels are also fun to read!

Quote:If Ursicinius was MOH when the Persian army arrived, would he have been made responsible for the defense of the city (since he was cavalry and defensive works mainly infantry?) or would the equivelant of an Urban Cohort per Nisibis been responsible.
Ursicinus would take command. Civic authorities had no military responcibilities apart from policing the population.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: City management in ancient Roman Empire - by Robert Vermaat - 11-01-2006, 08:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  City management in Eastern Rome Lothia 2 1,276 08-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lothia
  The Ancient City rekirts 3 1,904 12-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Last Post: richsc