Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robinson\'s Armour of Imperial Rome
Quote:Re. copyright - Greenhill Books and Peter Connolly (i.e. the colour reconstructions and line drawings). Greenhill looked into the possibility of a reprint but decided against because of the costs involved.

Not strictly correct (and I know this through correspondence with Lionel Leventhal, who owned Arms and Armour Press at the time). Peter certainly owns the copyright on the line illustrations and colour reconstructions (plate 1 and dust jacket - Peter's name was taken off this, but that of course does not in any way affect his copyright) whilst I think you'll find that the estate of HRR owns the copyright on the text, photos and drawings that HRR contributed and that lasts for 70 years after the death of HRR (so round about 2048); the rest of the photos belong to various other copyright holders, mainly institutions. The copyright on the design, typography and layout of the book is a different kettle of fish; in the UK that is (and I have to believe Lionel on this one) only 25 years after the date of publication, so that expired in 2000. I don't think Greenhill have a claim on it as they came along after the event, but since it is now LL's company, it was him I approached, since he did the original edition.

And for those who don't know, Lionel was indeed kind enough to go through the motions of costing out a reprint at my suggestion.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Robinson\'s Armour of Imperial Rome - by Ross Cowan - 10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Re: Robinson\'s Armour of Imperial Rome - by Ross Cowan - 10-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Re: Robinson\'s Armour of Imperial Rome - by mcbishop - 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
printing on demand - by richard - 10-11-2006, 12:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Needed “Female Gladiators in Imperial Rome Medusa Gladiatrix 3 1,652 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier sesdelta38 14 5,591 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Roman Imperial Armour - Sim and Kaminski Vindex 7 3,169 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Vindex