Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem
Quote:
Tarbicus:2stjr37r Wrote:The modelmaker included an optional Third Wall. It doesn't match some verisons I've seen of its layout, but I believe there is a debate about that and I am sure I have seen one resembling this:

[url:2stjr37r]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/jerusalem_xsi_07_3rdwall.jpg[/url].
As far as I know, this is correct. For a long time, it was believed that the area of the modern Damascus Gate was part of the third wall, but the discovery of traces of a mid-first century wall morew to the north appears to have settled the case. The Damascus Gate is, therefore, built on top of the Second Wall, as is shown here.

There's less certainty about the course of the western part of the Second Wall. Our model maker has chosen a straight line to the south ([url:2stjr37r]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/jerusalem_xsi_07.jpg[/url]), which is common, but based on the assumption that the modern church of the Holy Sepulcher indeed marks the tomb and Golgotha. Personally, I agree, but it is needs to be stressed that this is just an assumption.

All this being said, it is a lovely model.

Thanks Jona, that's settled that for me then. I was so hazy on the Third Wall because I worked on a film about Jesus, and there was enough debate on so many other things I had to prioritise and keep changing the setup. This model also includes a slightly smaller Circus, which IIRC is debated about.

I'm wondering if the Coloseum is relevant to the siege period? I don't ever remember seeing it on any maps. I might also add roof tiles to many of the Upper City buildings which also IIRC is one popular theory. However, I get the feeling that the modelmaker has researched and dwelled on this so long that he's probably right.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by Tarbicus - 09-30-2006, 02:12 AM
Re: Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem - by jbd_29349 - 10-03-2006, 03:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post