Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
awesome computer-shipmodel
Okay, this galley isn't from Ancient times, but modeled after ships that existed about 300 years ago. It's a must see though for everybody, who loves detailed models:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxrbtuyNG0
--- Marcus F. ---
Is that a Dromon or whatever they were called?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Awesome model. That is the type of gunship used against Henry the VIIIths fleet, if I'm not mistaken.
Wish I could answer your question as to whether they were called Dromons, as my memory only recognises the name :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
One hundred years after the Battle of Lepanto I didn't think galleys were used anymore in warfare.
They were probably confined to the Mediterranean by that time though being used concurrently with
the Galleon.

Thanks for posting the link !

~Theo
Jaime
galleys were also used in Northern Europe. The Spanish and Dutch used them during the 80-years war (1568-1648). The Swedes and Russian navies also used galleys - the Second naval Battle of Svensksund (1790) was fought with galleys for example!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:Is that a Dromon or whatever they were called?
Dromon was the name of Byzantine galleys, for example those, who defended Constantinople during early medieval times against the Arabs with "Greek Fire" - here I posted a picture of one of these shipse (what looks like two cannons at the ship's bow were actually early "flamethrowers"): <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23076&start=20#p249238">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23076&start=20#p249238<!-- l

Now the ship in this video had still pretty much the same design like those galleys from the Battle at Lepanto. They were also used for a long time as a punishment for criminals (just not in Ancient times, that's the common misunderstanding people get from the story of "Ben Hur"). Here you have a list of sea battles, which shows that they were still fightung for quite a long time, especially in the Mediterranean Sea, but also, as Jeroen said, in the North East of Europe.

Here you have a video that shows a model of the Venetian Fleet at the Battle of Lepanto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRMdL9HUeuE
--- Marcus F. ---
damn, this' awesome

thanx for posting the link
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:galleys were also used in Northern Europe. The Spanish and Dutch used them during the 80-years war (1568-1648). The Swedes and Russian navies also used galleys - the Second naval Battle of Svensksund (1790) was fought with galleys for example!
Interesting. I guess the shorter distances involved between those countries still made the galley a viable weapon. Thanks for the information.

Quote:Dromon was the name of Byzantine galleys, for example those, who defended Constantinople during early medieval times against the Arabs with "Greek Fire" - here I posted a picture of one of these shipse (what looks like two cannons at the ship's bow were actually early "flamethrowers"): viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23076&start=20#p249238

If you view this thread and scroll all the way down you'll see a modern painting of a dromon in action.
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11859&start=140">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11859&start=140<!-- l

Quote:Here you have a video that shows a model of the Venetian Fleet at the Battle of Lepanto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRMdL9HUeuE
Wow ! I wonder what the scale of the ship is. In Ben-Hur the models they used were about 4 feet long. This one doesn't look much smaller but it's hard to gauge the size from the video. Thanks !

(BTW, I myself just bought a Roman imperial galley measuring 33 inches long and fully assembled.)

~Theo
Jaime
The guy, who made this model, posted several videos of his ship and in one he states that it's 3,85 m long, that would be more than 12 feet. Smile
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:Interesting. I guess the shorter distances involved between those countries still made the galley a viable weapon. Thanks for the information.

In the northern countries the galleys were usually used for patrolling rivers and lakes. During the Dutch revolution (1568-1648) the Spanish and Dutch naval forces clashed several times on lakes with galleys. When the Dutch started their naval building of man-of-wars the Spanish galleys quickly vanished from the Dutch frontier.

Even during the US revolution galleys were used.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awesome 3D model of Jerusalem Tarbicus 16 7,589 10-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Last Post: Decimus_Vitus