Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolling Roman Iron for Segmentata Plates
That may simply be a comment on the energy content and density Jim- the same kind of thing as the fact that alcohol (ethanol) contains more energy, biologically-speaking, than does sugar (glucose). The statement is 'per unit VOLUME'- coal is porous, olive oil is liquid, so there's a lot more oil in a given volume (coal coke is even more porous, thus less dense). I use olive oil in my little lamps but the flame it produces isn't particularly hot- no more so than that of a wax candle. And being a liquid, certainly there's no easy way to pass air through it to the flame to raise the temperature as one does with a bed of coal or charcoal- so it's not exactly suitable for a forge :wink:

Just FYI, I found that various seed oils (sunflower, soybean, sesame, corn, cotton, rapseed and peanut- curiously no listing for olive oil) all have a very similar heating value averaging 39.6MJ/kg (range from 39.2-39.8 ), whereas coal has a rating of 24MJ/kg and coke 29.6 MJ/kg. So the oils do indeed win out by 1.65x.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
metal thickness etc - by claudia crisis - 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
fuel - by claudia crisis - 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Re: Rolling Roman Iron for Segmentata Plates - by Matt Lukes - 09-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Why not hot rolled. - by marsvigilia - 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
rolled with what? Evidence? - by richard - 09-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Girdle Plates problem Grumio 56 9,398 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia