Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question: Soldiers tunic at the time of Trajan
Hi Brian,

here's a typical Roman four-horned saddle...

[Image: saddle.jpg]
[Image: auxiliar.jpg][Image: ralphauxilia1.gif][Image: ralphauxilia.gif]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Any thoughts about an aux. archers?

There's a discussion and drawing of a Creten archer somewhere on this site. I was thinking along the lines of the illustrations above with a round parma and bow. Maybe with a "national" item or two thrown in.

I did think that a greek would probably not wear bracae.
TIB. CLAVDIVS ZENO
A.K.A. John D.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Looking at the drawings Ivan posted (From Madocs 'The Vicus' website)

These are definately depictions of first century auxiliaries. Nowhere on Trajan's Column do we see auxilia wearing belts, let alone ones with an apron. Also by the end of the first century the caliga was on its way out, being replaced by the enclosed boot.
Quote:Also by the end of the first century the caliga was on its way out, being replaced by the enclosed boot.
For auxilia or legionaries? I'm not convinced unless you give more info.

Not saying you're wrong :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Certainly from the Vindolanda finds it would seem to indicate that by 105 enclosed boots were 'de rigeur'. No caligae have been found at the fort. This could be due to the weather conditions up there.

The fort was occupied by Batavian Auliaries (COH VIIII BAT) at this time.

I Can't give any positive indication as far as the legions go. The Column puts everyone in caligae, but it could be an artistic thing to denote the 'military boot'.
Thanks Ade.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Adrian wrote:

Quote:Certainly from the Vindolanda finds it would seem to indicate that by 105 enclosed boots were 'de rigeur'. No caligae have been found at the fort. This could be due to the weather conditions up there.

The fort was occupied by Batavian Auliaries (COH VIIII BAT) at this time.

I Can't give any positive indication as far as the legions go.

Hi Adrian / Jim

I think the last datable finds of Caligae from Britain are from Castleford. By the time of the early forts at Vindolanda c.80s AD and Carlisle, Caligae are absent from the archaeological deposits at both sites.

While climate is certainly a factor in the preservation of the boots it should not be seen as the only reason for the change in style. As Driel Murray points out one of the earliest replacement types consists of an even more openwork design than the classic boot before the fully enclosed types become more prevalent. Legionaries are also present at various times at Vindolanda

Bishop and Coulston note the caligae also disappear at some continental sites too, during or at least by the Trajanic period. This could therefore reflect a change in supply patterns or simply fashion.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks Graham!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for the saddle info. I'm learning more every day.
Now I have another question about this:
Quote:[Image: ralphauxilia.gif]
Is the design on that shield based on any historical evidence? Adrian, you mentioned Trajan's column. Are these reproductions of one of the men on the column, then?

I've seen some Roman items belt plates and such, with symbols that appear 8 pointed, but never an actual star like this. The only place I have seen an actual 8point star is in persian / arabic areas. Reason I'm asking, is I've always liked the symbol, and I've even carried it on my shields and banners in a fantasy LARP game that I used to play. Now that I've gotten into Roman, I'd love to be able to continue displaying it, but I'd really like some back up to do so.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
The shield itself is based on the Doncaster (Danvm) shield. A vertical-sided, vertical grip shield found there.

The star pattern is the design chosen for the Vicus reenactment group. IIRC star patterns are seen either on Trajan's Column or the Arch at Orange. I'll have to dig out the reference picture.
Adrian, thanks again for the info. If you can find that picture (or even just a publication where I can look for myself) that would be great.

I'll head off now, to see what this web-thingy can provide.

Sorry for getting this thread so far off-topic.

I just found this one on a picture from Trajan's: click here The shield turned 90degrees, in the upper part of where the two sides meet, appears to have a star-like pattern. Also, the one towards the bottom center has the same design as the reconstruction photo from the shield on Vicus's site.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Brian,

Would you please add your real name into your signature and activate it? It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Brian,

Would you please add your real name into your signature and activate it? It's a forum rule.
Err, It was there? I must have accidentally clicked away the signature line when I edited that message
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding the Wear of Late Roman Tunic chukissaki 3 1,861 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  A Tunic Question Graff 5 1,639 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Cheyenne