Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newstead Armour girth loop fastening methods
Iosephus--

Wonderful work on that Newstead, man! I especially like the long safety pin-like thingy holding the back turn keys. I've encountered some similar artifacts and always assumed they were just long cloak or clothing pins, but now you've got me thinking...

Mike --

Quote: feel a bit like a proud grandfather (thankfully I'm a few years away from that fate... hopefully ;-) ) , with all these Newsteads springing up all over the place.

And well youy should, given that your work is what got everything started! So, can all us Newstead wearers start calling you "Poppy" (which is what my kids call their grandad)...?

Quote:Here's an idea: my plans were only ever hypotheticals and were never tested by me. How about you and/or legio VI in the States putting the plans you used for your cuirasses onto the web so that others may have access to them (much as Matthew Amt did for the Corbridge cuirasses)?

We're on it! In fact, we have a photo essay in the works showing construction of one start-to-finish to help those planning to build their own. Should be on our website within the next three weeks.

Beyond that, we have a notion of providing one to Deepeeka so they can start making the proper Newstead, although of course they'll have to make it in at least three or four different sizes. We won't rest until the whole world is Newsteadized!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:So, can all us Newstead wearers start calling you "Poppy" (which is what my kids call their grandad)...?

Not advisable ;-)

Quote:We're on it! In fact, we have a photo essay in the works showing construction of one start-to-finish to help those planning to build their own. Should be on our website within the next three weeks.

Great stuff! Looking forward to it.

Quote:We won't rest until the whole world is Newsteadized!

I think the Kalkriese-ists might have something to say about that!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Iosephus--
Wonderful work on that Newstead, man! I especially like the long safety pin-like thingy holding the back turn keys. I've encountered some similar artifacts and always assumed they were just long cloak or clothing pins, but now you've got me thinking...

I have also seen some simiar safety pin artifacts. The ones I have handled in that scale were all iron. Were the ones you have seen copper alloy? It does make one thing. The pattens of the prings were more complicated and mor akin to the spring pins found in Hattat' Roman Brooch books.
Doug Strong
[url:xl2j37u3]http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/[/url]
[url:xl2j37u3]http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/[/url]
Iosephus

Congratulations on the work of completing the Newstead for your group and thanks for the pictures. I particularly like your use of a leather lace to keep the spit pins together and noticed you also drilled a hole in the collar plates to anchor the leather lace directly to the lorica keeping everything secure. This is the arrangement I most probably will use for my own Newstead.

Quote:FlaviusCrispus wrote:
Iosephus--
Wonderful work on that Newstead, man! I especially like the long safety pin-like thingy holding the back turn keys. I've encountered some similar artifacts and always assumed they were just long cloak or clothing pins, but now you've got me thinking

Yes I was wondering what form the rear pin should take either with a simpe hook or an enclosed loop and considered using this pattern from the archaeological record Although an archaeologist would probably disapprove of using something which can't be positively confirmed as being used with a lorica segmentata.

[Image: bronzepin.JPG]

It is a bronze pin 120 mm long with the head 25 mm in diameter found at the Antonine Wall fort of Barhill 20 miles from my home. It would have been ideal for the purpose of securing the rear turn pins.

However after seeing your 'safety pin-like thingy' I may consider making that style of fastening for the rear turn pins instead as I can see it has the advantage of being more secure in restricting vertical movement of the fastener. Did you source this design of fastener from a specific Roman find in your area?
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)
Quote:Although an archaeologist would probably disapprove of using something which can't be positively confirmed as being used with a lorica segmentata.

You can bet your life on that!

Seriously, though, there's no reason that you can't experiment with plausible solutions to problems in reconstruction; if such fittings are of the right date (and from Bar Hill it is) then it makes sense to at least give it a whirl, bearing in mind that experimental archaeology will only ever grant you a 'could', never a 'was': it is so easy for 'this could have been done' to metamorphose into 'this was done' (I know, I've heard the re-enactor spiel enough times ;-) no names, no pack drill) and thus we see the birth of factoids. It was in this spirit that James Curle tried the saddle horns from Newstead on his feet, thinking they might be armoured shoes. Seems daft now, but he wouldn't have discovered that they weren't if he hadn't tried.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Niedermörmter type Helmet with Newstead Segmental Armour Fabius Liberalis 62 14,294 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Lacing loop help! emj1s 16 3,669 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Newstead Lorica Girth Plate Overlap - Left or Right? Anonymous 1 1,263 03-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Anonymous