Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Lorica Segmentata a bad purchase?
Im sure this question has been asked before, so please forgive me. I am building my own Lorica Segmentata, but my buidling skills arent so good. It is going to take me quite sometime as I have to go very slowly, but I am an impatient little freak. I saw this one and thought, "well, its not too expensive and when the one I build is complete, I could give it to my brother or brother-in-law or sell it. So now please tell me, as a temporary set of armor, is this thing just so bad, or off that it will be a waste? Will people see me at events and say "look here comes dingus dongus!" PLease be nice!!!! Big Grin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roman-Lorica-Segmen ... otohosting
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
I've seen this lorica before. The back plates are curved when they should be flat. It requires considerable work to rebuild it to make it wearable. As it is, it is going to be extremely painful to wear. You should be able to find a new revised Deepeeka lorica for not much more pecunia.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Stick with your hand made one Kevin...trust me, it's worth it. You'll have more headaches buying a stock, off the shelf seggie.

Legion: TBD
i have one of these. but from a different seller.

its not bad. the strapping is too thick on the outside and the strapping inside needs to be replaced. its suade.

the plates dont 100% match up to the Matt Amp plate patterns.

the hinges are 1 single layer

if you can make it, it would be better for you to do so. if your in a hurry, these arent bad, but do need to be reworked inbetween each event... i've popped 4 rivits thru the suade strapping
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I guess my concern with the Deepekas is it seems like they run small from all I have read. I am between 46 and 48 chest. Can you tell me what about this one will make it uncomfortable, is it the curved plates you mentioned?

Quote:I've seen this lorica before. The back plates are curved when they should be flat. It requires considerable work to rebuild it to make it wearable. As it is, it is going to be extremely painful to wear. You should be able to find a new revised Deepeeka lorica for not much more pecunia.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
How about the fit? Do you find it uncomfortable as was mentioned by Neurolanus? What size are you if I may ask? I am 6'2 235 with about a 47 inch chest size. Do you think it will fit?

Quote:i have one of these. but from a different seller.

its not bad. the strapping is too thick on the outside and the strapping inside needs to be replaced. its suade.

the plates dont 100% match up to the Matt Amp plate patterns.

the hinges are 1 single layer

if you can make it, it would be better for you to do so. if your in a hurry, these arent bad, but do need to be reworked inbetween each event... i've popped 4 rivits thru the suade strapping
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Ave,
I've seen those segs before and most people say the Deepeeka ones are better. Mine is a Deepeeka and runs to size 47-48. Rusty Myers(SOTW) has a thread here from a while ago where he discusses fit and this one in
particular. To me, this is no great deal since that's all I paid for mine.
Please don't get in a hurry. If you've already spent money on your materials you may as well wait it out. Bottom line here is you should be able to get one for this price many places.
Good luck. Smile
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
I would suggest asking the SELLER, assuming he's the guy in the picture, what size he is; the armor DEFINITELY doesn't fit him- it's too small. There are all kinds of gaps that really do look bad. I see virtually no overlap of the torso plates and the shoulderguards aren't nearly long enough as there's a clear space to either side of the breast plates. The curved upper back plates also show that the armor is fitted for someone rather smaller than the wearer- curves are not so bad so long as they're appropriate for the size, but these ones would just dig into your back up the middle. Certainly if the belts are suede, that's quite bad...

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I know. I know--I guess its just me being impatient. I promise I wont order it! I just dont think I will have my seg done and ready til next year by the time I get all the stuff and my work schedule and a baby due any day. Ugggh!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
:lol: Believe me, I think we all understand Kevin. It's hard to be patient about new toys Wink
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote::lol: Believe me, I think we all understand Kevin. It's hard to be patient about new toys Wink
Aye, speaking of which :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
no it will not fit you.

no i do not believe it is Sussen in the pictures. like i said, others sell this same design and use the same pictures

mine is way tight. it has no over girth for the plates to be losely tied. i'd say a 180 lb 42 inch chest it would fit. i'm a 45 inch at 200 and its very tight
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
If I were you, I would make sure to have EXTRA padding in my subarmalis as it is really very uncomfortable to wear. Someone loaned one to me once for a static display op, and I would rather wear no armor and stand in garrison Sad P lol:
Good luck with your other seg... I am soon to start another (for myself this time) and shall have the plates cut soon. If you are interested in making your own rivets for it as well, Matt Lukes has a great thread on it here:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=rivets
To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before. (Marcus Aurelius)

LVCIVS VALERIVS HOMVLVS
(Clayton Braswell)
Kevin, if I were you, I'd have started on other parts of the kit first:

1. Sandals
2. Tunic
3. Belt

With just those 3 things you're basically ready for a simple impression of an unarmoured roman soldier. Add a gladius and maybe a pugio and you're laughing. Plus it also starts giving you the skills to work off of a pattern, and works you into doing leather and metalwork.

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 269 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,775 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,926 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs