Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dromedarii
hello
i am currentlly researching for some illustrations; one of those will feature a roman camel trooper (dromedarii?)
Can anyone direct to sources; I am interested in pictorial (weapons, armour, clothes, etc), unit organization and accounts of it's use in battle (this last one will serve as an inspiration to make the composition of the image).
Best regards
JP Vieira
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
An off-topic remark: it is a bit confusing to call dromedarii "camel troopers"; I'd suggest "dromedary troopers". The camel (camelus bactrianus) was not known in the Near East or Mediterranean until the sixth century CE; its natural habitat is Afghanistan and the Gobi desert.

The point is of course not very important, and I would not have put this remark online if the confusion were not so common.

Even the animal for which it is easier to go through a needle's eye than it is for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God (Mark 10.25) is not a camel but a dromedary (camelus dromedarius), whose natural habitat is Syria (more...).

The confusion is caused by the fact that the Semitic word for dromedary is gâmâl, which became in Greek kamêlos.

And now back to the original question.

[Image: Camel_cigarettes.jpg]
Ceci n'est pas un chameau.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Nice package!

looks like WWII issue.....

is it?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
This illustration (I believe) is by fellow RAT member and illustrator Graham Sumner. Please correct me Graham if it isn't!!

I love this picture! (and this troop type!) Big Grin

[Image: dromedariikl.jpg]
"Two Roman emperors, Nero and Heliogabalus, had their chariots drawn by rare Bactrian camels."

From reading the links here and some Wik articles, I get the impression that dromedary were better battle mounts (faster and more agile), while camels were better transportation beast (sturdier and stronger).

If so, why were the Romans so slow to adopt the eastern Bactrian camel?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:I get the impression that dromedary were better battle mounts [...], while camels were better transportation beast [...]. If so, why were the Romans so slow to adopt the eastern Bactrian camel?
Correct impression. The answer to the question is that the Bactrian camel was not accessible in sufficient numbers. Rome was at war with the Parthians and Sassanids; the great East-West route was not the Silk Road, but a northern route (Ukraine/Khazachstan) or a southern sea route. In the fifth century, when Rome and the Sassanids are more or less at peace, the Silk Road flourishes again. It is at that moment that camels come to the west in sufficient numbers.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Correct impression. The answer to the question is that the Bactrian camel was not accessible in sufficient numbers.

Why not breeding?

There was this famous Han Chinese expedition to the Fergana valley in the late 2nd century BC, where the Chinese went at great pains to get their hands on the "heavenly horses". Alright, the camel did not play the role the horse had, not even in transportation, but one could expect from the Romans a more serious effort, if the Bactrian camel promised sufficient advantages, couldnt you?

Is there BTW any overview article on the military role of camels and dromedaries?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:This illustration (I believe) is by fellow RAT member and illustrator Graham Sumner. Please correct me Graham if it isn't!!
Oh yes it is and what a great picture!!!
Here's another, from the cover of his great book:
[Image: 1857533151.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1084515053_.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Why not breeding?
Maybe they did not see sufficient camels to realize the qualities? Ancient authors do not really mention them. The Alexander historians ignore camels, and Aristotle, who at least mentions the two-humped camel, does not refer to special qualities.
Jona Lendering
My website
[Image: 3793.jpg]
Andrei Sandu
Thanks chaps

Yes indeed one of my favourite subjects and I have built up a collection of camel images ancient and modern. A few years ago I even photographed a Guard member in full armour mounted on a camel on a beach near Bristol Smile . Interesting to note how totally relaxed the camel was as to opposed to how a horse reacts the first time it sees anyone in armour.

I also wrote an article on the subject for Military Illustrated magazine in 1996 and have sent several RAT members copies.

After Verlinden models made a figure clearly based on one of my paintings I sent them the details of the Dromedarii painting I had just completed (1995). Sadly although I was sent a free copy of the standing Auxiliary Centurion they produced they never sent me the Camel figure Cry

There are plenty of ancient sources for illustrations of Palmyrene camel riders but not as far as I know any of the 'Roman' units. You might be interested to know that I will be painting another Roman Dromedarii for my latest book project.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham Sumner\\n[quote]

I also wrote an article on the subject for Military Illustrated magazine in 1996 and have sent several RAT members copies.

Hello Graham
Would it be to much of a burden to ask you, please, to send a copy of the article. :wink:
I am producing some illustrations featuring the use of camels and dromedari in war, and would help me very much to get your article.
Thanks very much
Best regards
JP VIeira
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
Hello J.P

PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you as soon as I can.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi

To all those who have requested copies of my article on the Roman Camel Corps, they will be sent as soon as possible.

Graham.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dromedarii??? Currahee Chris 1 971 08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs